GO!

What didn't you have to work on with your pup?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sat Nov 9, '13 9:09am PST 
When you adopted your dog, either puppy or adult when you got them, did they come to you lacking behaviors that you thought you'd have to work hard to minimize or stop all together?

I finally decided that this year I was going to get a Xmas tree. I've never felt like having one but this year, I'm feelin' it.
So, I decided to see what Moose would do if I brought home a fake tree. (Can't go wrong with a 6' fake tree that totally looks real and even has pine smelling sticks that you can hang on it and only cost $27).
So, I set it up temporarily to see what Moose would do. Nothing. He doesn't give one hoot about it. Yeah. Hopefully once it's fully decorated he'll still ignore it.
But it got me thinking about all of the typical puppy traits that I thought I was going to have to battle and I haven't.
I was fully prepared and had my plan laid out on how I was going to handle training him to walk on a loose leash. Never had to. He's not a puller. He's fabulous on lead. Although he's a freaking spaz when we pass a dog and he thinks it's play time. Dear dog, my elbow tendons take a beating. We're making good progress on staying calm when we pass other dogs.
And I never had to work on keeping him from running off when off leash. First time at the beach, first time ever off leash at 4 1/2 months and he never wandered far and always came back with one call. Well, unless he had his eyes focused on puppies. And drinking salt water. Those are still BIG works in progress.

I also prepared for the typical puppy chewing everything in sight. Not the case. Besides the hyper moments when he was a puppy and would start chewing on the furniture, I never had to correct destructive behavior.
Within the first two months of having him, I was able to put my shoes back by the front door and he's never, ever chewed on them. Or anything else like a t.v. remote or other objects left on the coffee table.
And for being a food hound, he's never put his paws on the counter or table looking for any morsel. This one surprises me a bit because, unlike Mikey, Moose will eat anything. But, if he sees something on the table, that he could very well reach with even only one paw up, he just stands with his chin resting on the table and whines at what he wants. Which is usually a paper towel I've accidentally left. He'll whine and whine until I come over and take it away, but won't try and get it. And he never spends time sniffing up at the counter. He seems to ignore the smells of food on the counter when I'm cooking. (He's not banished from the cooking area because he's well behaved).
Mind you, I don't temp him with stuff left on the counters. I still practice making sure there's nothing on the counters when I'm not home.

But, I was realizing how little I had to battle in regards to behaviors that sometimes can be a real pain.

What did you not have to battle that you thought for sure was going to be on your "to do" list?

Edited by author Sat Nov 9, '13 9:19am PST

[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Nov 9, '13 11:55am PST 
We adopted adults intentionally to hopefully avoid housebreaking and chewing. With Sophie we didn't know what to expect really. The first time I put her on leash she alternated between trying to rip the leash out of my hands and pancaking on the sidewalk. Obviously not leash trained before. It took six months to get her manageable on leash. She was however nicely trained in her toileting habits. After two years she learned to walk off leash. To be on the safe side though we only go off leash in secluded areas.

Callie walked beautifully on leash from the first day. Even when the leash slipped off, even when I lost my footing, he didn't run. He just sat down to wait for me. The same thing with meal time. When he sees the food bowls being prepared, he sits down in the middle of the kitchen and doesn't move until the bowl is on the floor. I think somebody had to have taught him to wait for food, wait for people.

The only fear I had was him peeing on things. It turns out it must have been the anesthesia from the day he came home. After that first day he hasn't marked anything indoors since. We were lucky with both dogs. Several years ago we had a border collie that chewed EVERYTHING...I was nervous about that. But the only thing they chew are their rawhides and toys.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Sat Nov 9, '13 4:32pm PST 
I thought chewing and digging might be an issue with Missy. I had heard that terriers like to dig, and the chewing I just expected from a puppy. But she did neither! Never once attempted to chew anything other then her toys, and never once dug up the garden! way to go
[notify]

Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Sat Nov 9, '13 9:28pm PST 
Moose, I'm trying to think this through. I'm thinking that the first stunner was gently calling Chark off of the beginning of a squirrel chase... and then I'm trying to remember just why I thought I could do it laugh out loud Out of the box, I've had a dog that really REALLY wanted to figure out the rules and do what was asked of her. Chark just celebrated her 7th birthday and , by now, we are highly bonded. But it all started with a pup that intensely wanted to do what was asked... and with a smooth and easy temperament. People of whatever size... no worries. Other dogs... no worries. Critters? Really no worries there. And with 6plus years of working together... She's settled into being just an amazing creature. The worst thing we get into is that her handler has so much trust that he's constantly proofing this or that in impossible situations thinking
[notify]
Brevin

I like poop

Barked: Sat Nov 9, '13 9:49pm PST 
Oh man when Abbie was a puppy she was a nightmare all around. She chewed through walls, ate the Christmas tree, really just at everything in sight. Terrible at housebreaking, bad on the leash. She was a puppy from hell and I thought I was going to have the same problem when we got Brevin.

But he is nearly 6 months old and I'm still waiting for all these issues that I had with Abbie to appear. He doesn't chew on shoes nor the carpet or walls, he actually comes when called, sticks to toys and is already completely house broken. Idk if it's because when I had Abbie as a puppy I was really young and she was the first puppy I ever had on my own. Now, 4 years later, I entered this puppy phase with more puppy experience and handled Brevin and his training a lot better and more maturely. I knew that he would grow up and it wouldn't be cute down the road and started training him immediately since the moment he stepped foot in our house. Who knows but Brevin is a dream puppy compared to Abbie as a puppy. And she is a 10 pound dog! Who knew such a tiny little puppy could be such a night mare lol

The only thing Brevin needs work on is his leash walking skills but he is getting better. Seriously the easiest puppy ever compared to when Abbie was a pup!
[notify]
Koby

I'm a big brat- and I don't care- :)

Barked: Sun Nov 10, '13 5:04am PST 
Kali chewed everything she could get into her mouth. Koby, on the other hand, has never chewed anything. He does like to carry things around, like my daughter's socks. We call them his "Man Purses" laugh out loud He picks up a sock every morning, carries it around for a while and then drops it in the bathroom adding to the pile he started. He's a good maid. big laugh
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sun Nov 10, '13 8:21am PST 
big laugh Koby! I love his profile pic laugh out loud

Czarka, I had a similar thought months later, after our very first off leash moment, about why I thought I'd have an automatic, sticks close to you off leash dog when I first unclipped his leash at the beach. I guess I just read him well. I kind of figured his love of dogs would keep him on the beach, but not so constant.
I mean, he could have just bailed and said hi to every single dog up and down the long beach, never looking back. Then as he got older and more comfortable being at the beach I also thought his confidence would start to kick in and he'd test how far he could go, but he never did. Even when his best pals would leave and go up to the parking lot, he'd start to follow, look back at me and realize that he wanted to stay with me. Man, that made/makes my life with him so much easier.
Breaks my heart that he doesn't get to be off leash until we get a total grip on his puppy issue.
[notify]
Ridley

Cry cry cry!

Barked: Sun Nov 10, '13 12:36pm PST 
One thing I love about Ridley is that he was never mouthy. Mulder left scars on my arms from when he was a puppy, the worst puppy biter I've ever known, and I was prepared for the worst getting a puppy that was his paternal uncle... yet Ridley never even tried. He has always been happy just to chew on whatever toy I gave him, and is still like that to this day.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Sun Nov 10, '13 1:38pm PST 
Recall and being off-leash.. he basically taught himself smile
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Sun Nov 10, '13 5:12pm PST 
When we got Clyde, he was the was the easiest dog to housetrain of any dog I've met. He also was surprisingly good about not chewing things that weren't his (the exceptions being foraging and boredom chewing)

Louie, on the other hand, was(and still is) a potty training nightmare. I don't think he is still fully housetrained despite extensive efforts on our part. He was also pretty bad about chewing everything as a young pup. But, he never needed any serious leash training. In fact, at only 9 months old, he was walking beautifully on a -flexi-. I still can't walk Clyd without a training collar after 5 1/2 years. Louie also took to fetch like a fish to water despite being a chihuahua.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3