GO!

How to train this trick?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Sep 27, '13 11:59am PST 
No update in a little while, things for the most part have been going pretty good. The house has been dog-proofed, and we've had no more escape incidents.

I've been trying to do more things to keep the dogs busy, as things are still a little hectic here and I don't have as much time to spent with formal sports as I did before. One thing I've picked back up is trick training, to give them something to work towards without actually having to go out and train.

Right now I'm trying to teach Mulder "shame", where he covers his eyes/face with a paw.

He knows "touch" as a command to touch something with his paw, which as been helpful in getting his paw up off the ground and in the general vicinity of where it should go, but he's not really grasping the concept of lifting his paw up over his snout.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for getting this behavior naturally? I've tried getting him to lay down and hover the treat above his nose, and rubbing a little water on the top of his snout to try and get him to wipe it off, but he just rubs his face on the floor or smacks me with his foot to get the treat!
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Fri Sep 27, '13 12:13pm PST 
The two methods I know are to put something sticky on the dog's nose and capture the moment they use their paw to get it off. You can use post-its, scotch tape, cooked spaghetti, etc. Or you can use a bungie around the dog's nose. Those little stretchy loops for your hand that come attached to some clickers are perfect. I've also heard of people using the loop-end of a leash around a snout too.
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Fri Sep 27, '13 2:18pm PST 
Alva had no reaction to tape on her nose. So I've tried to shape this trick, but I am lousy at it. You are not alone.
[notify]

Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Fri Sep 27, '13 10:33pm PST 
Looping something around the muzzle can be irritating and not enjoyable for the dog learning. Even tape is annoying but it's far less invasive. If the tape doesn't work I would teach a paw target.

Teach your pup to target something, I prefer pieces of paper because they can get smaller and smaller, target sticks really annoy me.

Once paw targeting 100% reliably slowly ask for the target to be closer and closer to his muzzle. Finally, once over the muzzle reliable fade out the target. If using paper you can just break it into smaller pieces. Eventually your dog might think the hand signal is your finger or hand towards his nose but add a verbal cue to get over this trouble shoot. Conveniently, I labeled mine "naughty dog" and shake my finger at my pup anyway, so all I did was distance the finger cue.

Good luck!
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Sat Sep 28, '13 10:05am PST 
I tried targeting, but Alva's nose target is too strong. When my target was close enough her nose she switches to nose touch.

I've also made practices where I hold her paw and she must put her head under it but she has not combined 'head under paw' with 'paw lifted close to head' yet.

She almost touches her nose with her paw but I want her to aim higher. I am stuck.
[notify]
Dandelion

helloooo....! - i\'m TALKING to- you!!!!!

Barked: Sat Sep 28, '13 11:37am PST 
instead of tape, use something that has bulk - she needs to be able to see it. try one of those tiny training treats with a blob of vaseline underneath to make it sticky.
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Sat Sep 28, '13 9:40pm PST 
What do you use for her nose target? Stickies, target stick, etc?

Switch targets.. if that doesn't work, does she know shake? Treat your hand like a target.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sun Sep 29, '13 12:19pm PST 
I sprinkled water on Nare's head to get him to start offering this.
Putting a piece of tape on the tip of the ear might work too.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Oct 1, '13 11:28am PST 
Update on this, I've been trying the tape methods with mixed results. For the most part he doesn't seem concerned with the tape being on his nose/ears... but he's pawed at it a time or two and was clicked/treated for it, so its slow progress. I'm hoping that with more work he'll get that lightbulb moment and catch on.
[notify]
CGC Diego

I love my peeps!-

Barked: Tue Oct 1, '13 12:26pm PST 
I'd combo a lowered head behavior with the target stick behavior (paw to stick). You could cue the lowered head, then add the paw to stick cue. Then gradually move the target into position where you want it... shrug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2