GO!

My sister doesn't understand dogs. Vent.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Sasha

Better watch- yourself!

Barked: Sat Jul 27, '13 3:33pm PST 
My two cents on the books are Steve Duno. I've been a huge fan of his after reading Last Dog on the Hill. It's like a much better Marley and Me book lol. So besides that one if you yourself want a good read, I bought Be the Dog and Leader of the Pack, and like them pretty well. Be the Dog had some good stuff.

But agree with all, that's a crummy situation. I am a VERY friendly and laid back person, but if people try to even play with my dogs the wrong way at the dog park I tell them to please stop. Poor Jewel. Sounds like my cat haha, I can hold him but no one else better try for more than 30 seconds.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sat Jul 27, '13 3:37pm PST 
Maybe your sister needs to borrow my cat and attempt to restrain her when she doesn't want to be held . . ...

Cats are not such forgiving teachers as dogs . . .winknaughty

eta: Dante, we had the same thought about cats posting at the same time . ..

big laugh

Edited by author Sat Jul 27, '13 3:39pm PST

[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Sat Jul 27, '13 7:37pm PST 
Why not make it simpleā€¦.
Next gathering, hug her in a most uncomfortable way and don't let go till she snaps at you. Let's face it, it's weird after a couple of seconds, she will have to object.
Once she really loses it and thinks you are daffy, tell her not to do the same to your dog.

Then give the same treatment to your nephew.

My mentor/trainer gave a great demonstration during a class on the subject of people "pawing" dogs they don't know well. She used one of our human volunteers as the dog. She petted her head, kissed her cheek and hugged her.

We all agreed it was creepy. So why should a dog put up with it?
[notify]

Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sun Jul 28, '13 6:31am PST 
Pepper! big laughapplause I love it!
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Jul 28, '13 2:01pm PST 
Pepper that's an awesome ideabig laugh Love it!

I have the same issue with Shadow and vets.confusedAnd they REALLY ought to know better. The dog is clearly uncomfortable, back off! I will never understand why the same rules for personal space don't apply to dogs. I tell people all the time 'any part of you that touches me, you don't get back'. Why can't my dog have the same right.shrug
[notify]
Sasha

Better watch- yourself!

Barked: Sun Jul 28, '13 3:40pm PST 
Haha Augusta we did too funny laugh out loud It's true though, I swear if these little dogs had the claws our cats did it would never be an issue lol. Although then it may be "oh my she clawed me!" confused

And agree with all Pepper, too damn funny! I feel like doing that to the next person at the dog park that starts picking Dante up in all sorts of weird or uncomfortable postions
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Mon Jul 29, '13 6:09am PST 
I used to do the same with our family cats when I was little, but my mom never let me get away with it. In fact she'd encourage the cats to bite me if they felt uncomfortable. laugh out loud
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Jul 29, '13 6:45am PST 
Not sure what relationship you have with your sister, but I would totally do what Pepper said with my brother to get the point across.laugh out loud My brother can be a bit of a know-it-all and sometimes words just go in one ear and out the other.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2