GO!

My sister doesn't understand dogs. Vent.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 7:37am PST 
I was at my parents' for supper last night and my sister and Jewel had a faceoff. This is my OLDER sister, she is in her 30s! You would think she would know better by now. My sister thinks dogs should just accept whatever a person wants to do to them apparently. Not happy.

She was holding Jewel, after a bit Jewel struggled to get free and instead of just putting her down like a person with a brain my sister held on tighter!! Then her son (6 years old) went all "I want Jewel" and leaned over to try and pry Jewel out of her arms. Well Jewel started really struggling and let out a snarl to let them know she was serious, then came running straight to me for safety.

My sister spent the rest of the night bringing it back up over and over again and telling her son to be careful around Jewel because that's the second time Jewel's growled at her. Uh huh, she's the ONLY person Jewel's growled at because most people have a brain. A dog struggles. let it GO!

The scary thing is she wants a dog and refuses to see Jewel's side, Jewel should just let my sister love her. Seriously? In the 3 years I've had Jewel I am the ONLY person that can hold her without a time limit, anyone else she's done with in a couple of minutes. And oh yeah she's been GREAT with your son and never growled at HIM.

Is there a book I can buy her (her birthday is coming) that will help her see what she's doing wrong and help her understand the dog's side?
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 7:57am PST 
I don't know if this will help, but it's the first thing that came to mind . ...laugh out loud

dog book
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 8:58am PST 
Jewel- Unfortunately common sense just eludes some people. It has nothing to do with age or intelligence. It sounds like your sister is one of those people. Since she insists on acting like a spoiled little child, perhaps you should treat her as one and when Jewel wants down, tell her, "I'm sorry it is time to put Jewel down now, she has had enough of being held and wants to do something else." Good Luck with the situation, I can tell you reasoning with my grandchildren like that when they were young worked, so perhaps communicating with your sister on what appears to be her level will work for you.
[notify]

Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 9:36am PST 
http://www.amazon.com/Other-End-Leash-What-Around/dp/034544678X/ref= sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374855896&sr=1-2&keywords=dog

Maybe this book?? The reviews are good and there's A LOT of them. There are also books with pictures of canine body language that might be helpful. XD

If she starts getting serious about getting a dog... try to push for breeds that make good lap dogs and are really easy going, since that's apparently what she needs.

But yeah... I'd be pretty mad too if someone was bullying my dog around and then acting like it's the dog's fault. That is exactly how people get bit. If you can, it might be worth sitting her son down and explaining to him what happened. And that growling isn't a scary thing, Jewel was just upset that his mom wasn't listening to her. Sometimes kids understand things way faster than adults do... XD
[notify]
Koby

I'm a big brat- and I don't care- :)

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 6:41pm PST 
I'm sorry, but if anyone tries to push themselves on any of my dogs, I step in and stop it immediately . I don't care who it makes mad. I figure, it's better to @!$$ someone off than to have them receive nasty bite because they were being stupid. There is a lot of "But I like Dogs" going around. Like that's going to change your dog's mind? I think they are just NOT dog people. So the best thing to do, in my mind, is to prevent those situations from happening in the first place. You owe it to your dog. Sorry if that sounds harsh. Good Luck!
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 8:30pm PST 
I've heard a lot of people say things like, "I'm allowed to touch your paws if I want!" when the dog is clearly uncomfortable with the interaction, and they say/act the same when the dog struggles with other holds like being held in the arms or in a hug. Since when did we have to disrespect how dogs feel about a situation? There's no reason for it, and push a dog hard enough and it usually doesn't have a good outcome.

I'm sorry Jewel had to be in that situation, and I know having family that don't totally get dogs can be frustrating. Hopefully a really basic book might help explain the concept of respect and dog body language, I like the one with a lot of pictures. Hopefully your sister will read a couple books before getting a dog herself.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 11:24pm PST 
Grah that sounds so frustrating! I have friends/family that tend to be the same way. Actually... My mother and siblings learned A LOT from me about canine body language, and where many years ago my mother would have got rid of a dog for growling at a child, she now understands that if her dog growls at my younger sister, it's time to separate them and step in for him and make sure she isn't harassing him. She learned from me that it's her dogs only ways of communicating and speaking up for himself, and that it's not him being aggressive. She has likely avoided many bites up to now, as my younger sister will go up to and harass her dog and my mom now steps in and advocates for him.

That said... I have a friend who was trying to tell me that Charlie was trying to be 'dominant' with me, and 'alpha' when he stepped into my lap while I was sitting on the floor. ANYONE who knows dogs would have IMMEDIATELY seen that with me having already been massaging and petting him, he was getting closer and leaning into me for more. naughty

I know many people who used to have the mindset of "If I do something and you bite me, you're at fault" with dogs.. My fiance did too a few years ago! He, and other friends I know quickly changed their tune when I pointed out that if a dog gets as far as a bite, there's a problem and it's not the dogs fault for only communicating with you in the only way they could. If you didn't see a warning... why? And what could you change or do better next time to prevent the dog from feeling the need to do so? Etc..

It ticks me off when people try to force themselves on my dogs... Although, I think my dogs have a tendency to force themselves onto people more often. laugh out loud
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Sat Jul 27, '13 8:26am PST 
Not at all Koby, I was about to step it but it all happened so fast from the time my sister tighten her grip to the snarl. I do step in otherwise, my nephew is usually pretty good with the dogs because I've been on him since he was 3, just seeing his mom act like that....well you know.
[notify]
Koby

I'm a big brat- and I don't care- :)

Barked: Sat Jul 27, '13 10:37am PST 
Good luck with your future visits.............. smile
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Sat Jul 27, '13 2:19pm PST 
I just don't let anyone "hold" sandy if u r sitting down and he gets n ur lap that's fine but u can't restrain him in any way. Sandy doesn't like feeling like he cannot get away.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2