GO!

Reactive dog doesnt react to a specific breed?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Jul 12, '13 7:18pm PST 
So far it appears Bunny is reactive to big male dogs, puppies , unneutered dogs and one or two bigger female dogs. He has never reacted to any type of Shih Tzu. On the contrary , he loves them and plays very well with them. Tonight I watched him *not* react to a Shih Tzu that was growling at him through the dog park fence. He was throwing out calming signals! I don't understand my dog at allshrug

Edited by author Fri Jul 12, '13 7:19pm PST

[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 2:56am PST 
Sometimes I wonder if dogs have similar prejudices as humans. Before Kali was CGC Certified, she hated all Huskies. I don't know why, she just did. She would react to all dogs, but the worst was the Huskies. confused shrug So, I wonder if it works the other way too, where like you said, the like certain breeds better. confused

Edited by author Sat Jul 13, '13 2:56am PST

[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 4:49am PST 
Maybe he senses Shih Tzu's are inherently not dangerous???laugh out loud

It would make sense to react to bigger dogs and puppies (cause puppies are annoying and clumsy) . ..
[notify]

Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 9:37am PST 
Maybe Bunny has had enough really positive experiences with Shih Tzu type dogs that he is no longer afraid of them and that's why you are seeing appropriate body language from him then?

Rexy has a tough time with spitz types...the pointed ears and very upright tail carriage are hard for her. Pit mixes are tough too, I think it's something about how tend they carry themselves.

Every once in a while, we'll pass by a dog that is having a complete melt-down and Rexy will give it the "What in the world is wrong with YOU?" look and I have no idea what makes that particular dog/situation cause her to not react. smile
[notify]
Ch. Luke, in memory.

Luke--- the dog talking

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 11:22am PST 
Lukie was a PERFECT gentleman until he spotted a white Standard Poodle. Could be any other color OR any other size for some reason. The minute he spied one he would leap into the air and try to kill it!
It was a pretty major problem at dog shows because the SPoos AND the Frenchies are shown in the same group and often shared a ring.
I had a large white mini poodle in show trim and he could have cared less about him.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 5:12pm PST 
I wouldn't entirely trust Missy around all Golden Retrievers, but I've noticed a marked difference in her behaviour around them. She rarely reacts at them, can approach them and shows interest in them. A few years back during training classes she actually interacted with a Goldie male. He'd throw himself down on the floor in front of her and Missy would lick his head and wag her tail madly while generally being very friendly and open in body language. We know another Goldie male that we meet regularly on walks and she's good with him too. She has never once shown any aggression towards him and is relaxed when he approaches us.

She had goods interactions with Goldies though as a puppy, before her DA started. Her best friend was a Goldie that she played with almost daily and I believe she genuinely believes them to be good and non threatening.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 5:37pm PST 
Breeds make a difference. I think often on the opposite side....some breeds get more than their share of dislike. I can understand the situation with my Giant Schnauzers....they are just very erect in their carriage and seem to say "I am pushy" before they get near another dog....but others, like German Shepherds, it has confused me, as they don't really seem to offer any particular reason to set dogs off. Siberian Huskies have been a constant theme of dislike. Not Malamutes....Sibes.

Some dogs do give off very non threatening body language. I seldom see Basset Hounds set other dogs off. Maybe they don't think they are dogs silenced laugh out loud big laugh I don't think it has to do with softness, for Cockers are very soft, wiggly, lower their body posture, but they can make certain dogs go ballistic.

Don't know. Only know Bassets tend to be very non threatening to other dogs, which is odd as they can be bumptious and lost in their own planet half the time.

Edited by author Sat Jul 13, '13 5:37pm PST

[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 6:05pm PST 
Maybe u should try to attend a shih Zhu Meet up so that she can play with them I found an Italian greyhound meet up near me on www.meetup.com
[notify]
Meeko

Meeko Madness

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 8:13pm PST 
Meeko seems to dislike yellow labs.He is fine with black or chocolate. Its very odd to me that that he can be fine with a boxer or pit bull but get snippy with a yellow lab.
[notify]
Brittany

I always get the- last bark.

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 10:50pm PST 
Brittany is dog reactive and LOVES huskies and chihuahuas. She also has always been nice with puppies. I've seen her go running up to a puppy before when it hits her that it is a puppy mid charge and she will slam on the brakes, close her mouth, and sniff with hackles up only. She lets puppies get away with a LOT too. She is barely willing to growl at them, and I don't think she has ever snapped at one.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3