GO!

How to show your dog who's boss . . . . sigh . . ..

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 1:45pm PST 
I always wondered why Bunny tries to lick my ear when he is hugging mebig laugh
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 1:58pm PST 
Hahahaha!
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 12:48am PST 
I just tried that on Sabilaugh out loud Oh my, tears running down my facelaugh out loudlaugh out loudShe always thought I was nuts, I've just removed all doubt. I wish you all could have seen the look on her face before she left me to go to bed.
'Woman what are you doing now you lunatic stop that this instant stick your fingers in my ear again I dare you what halfwit have you been talking to now!'laugh out loud
[notify]

Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 9:02am PST 
Omg, I hadn't even read through all of them myself--it just gets better and better

big laugh

Wrestling with your dog and playing “tug of war” games tells him that you want him to be a warrior. He feels that you are teaching him this because you want him to be more aggressive and dominant with people, and that you want him to take over leadership of the pack from you – through aggression. In the wild, he would need to develop these skills to defend him and the pack, to kill his food, and to fight for “alpha” dog position for breeding rights. But in our social pack or family environment, he does not have to kill his food—we give it to him. We do not want him running out and biting people—lawsuits! And most of all, we do not want him biting any member of the family to take over leadership of the pack. So immediately stop all “tug of war” and wrestling games, unless you want to live with the terrible consequences.

And this?

Where should your dog sleep? The leader of the pack chooses where he or she sleeps and also designates where the rest of the pack is to sleep as well.

laugh out loud Ok, as your king, I'm sleeping here, Fang you will sleep there, to the right of Grip and Tigerlily and Butch you will be sleeping outside the den tonight . . .
[notify]
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 9:47am PST 
Well, I’m done for then. Not only do I wrestle and play tug with my pup, we play tug with her leash.

Oh the anarchy!
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 11:25am PST 
Alot of books go bananas over tug of war...you should NEVER play it and if you do the dog must NEVER win...you know some of these writer/trainers must be world class control freaks...pity their dogs

Mr. Man plays tug of war with us and Sophie too. I imagine with some dogs, they might just go over the top with excitment...nevermind the deranged expression. But no, Callie pulls and head shakes like a lunatic then lays on his back with a big smile
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 8:48pm PST 
I din't play tug with Loki util he got a bit older. My husband played tug and played rough with Angus and he can be aggressive so I did the opposite with like and he's gentle as a lamb.shrug Except when he's playing tug.big laugh
[notify]
Capone

Noms for the- pug...

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 8:53pm PST 
Oh, no! I'm in big trouble. I've wrestled with Capone ever since he was a little pup. Well, I let him wrestle my arm anyway. And he sleeps wherever he wants on my bed as long as he doesn't push me out. Any day now he might try to take over the household. BOL big laugh
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 9:53pm PST 
Everything... On there... Is ridiculous. WHAT TRAINER IS GIVING THIS INFORMATION?!

With each meal, the puppy/dog should receive all of the food and water he/she desires. The meal should consist of 50% canned dog food and 50% dry dog food. If the puppy/dog eats everything in the dish, give him/her more until they leave a mouthful of the meat mixture. Only after the puppy has eaten, give him/her all the water he.she wants to drink. Again, if they drink everything... they need more! Once the puppy/dog has had all he/she wants to eat and drink, it's time for the puppy/dog to go outside to urinate and defecate. Not only would Ria and Charlie's teeth be HORRIBLE if I gave them 50% canned food... But Ria will EAT AND EAT AND EAT like a typical Lab and WILL NOT leave a mouthful. thinking

And... if a dog is marking around the house... after cleaning the urine... they recommend: The next step is for you to mark the area with new type of scent. Your scent is going to be hot Tabasco sauce. That's right! Hot Tabasco sauce. You must take a dish cloth and put Tabasco sauce on it and put this cloth in the male dog's mouth for 30 second. You only have to do this once. From this point on he will never forget your scent. But if you do not do this, the procedure will not work. Then place a few drops of the Tabasco sauce in a quart of water. Pour this solution into a spray bottle and spray over the area's you have previously cleaned and sprayed the 50% vinegar solution. By doing this, you now are placing your new odor over the male dog's territory marker. Hence, you as the leader or alpha figure in the pack, are marking your territory. Those poor dogs..
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 10:16pm PST 
I'm pretty sure my dog knows I don't pee out Tabasco sauce. confused
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3