GO!

Need help walking new rescue dog

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 9:54am PST 
Hello! We recently adopted a 1 year old Staffordshire mix about 3 and a half weeks ago. He is very fearful of new things and noises, but the one thing we're really having trouble with is getting him outside and walking him outside. He is very scared of going down the hallway, the stairs and certain spots outside and he will just freeze. Also we live in a condo building so we have to walk him outside for him to go to the bathroom throughout the day.

We have tried giving him treats when he's walking or giving him a toy when he's walking, but he won't pay attention to either when he's so stressed. When he freezes, we will just stand there until he eventually starts walking, but it can take a very long time for him to start again only to stop again a foot later. We don't want to pull him in case that would make it worse, but sometimes if I'm in a hurry, I end up having to carry him to get outside. And he's a heavy guy!

We're planning on signing up for an obedience class which will hopefully help him trust us more, but it doesn't start for another month and every day we have this problem. Any tips on how to get him excited to go outside when treats and toys won't work and to walk without freezing up would be very helpful!

Edited by author Thu Apr 25, '13 9:57am PST

[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 12:15pm PST 
Does he play? Does he like other dogs? You might get him exited in play and use going outside in the middle of a play session, like maybe play fetch with a ball on a long lead and while he's engrossed, roll the ball outside. If he likes other dogs, you might have another dog coax him outside. Good Luck and keep us posted. smile
[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 4:49pm PST 
Thank you! I'll try playing with him first and then trying to lead him out with the toy. He tends to lose interest in toys after playing for a few minutes, but it's worth a try! He loves other dogs and when we take him for a walk around a park or at the dog park, he's never afraid of his surroundings if there are other dogs around. But unfortunately we don't have another dog to help us walk him out of our building or even around our building. I told my boyfriend we should just adopt another dog to help us walk him laugh out loud

We'll try playing with him first! Hopefully that helps! Sometimes he's so scared walking in our building/outside that he just sits down trembling and we can't distract him with toys/treats so he can see that being outside can be fun frown
[notify]

Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 12:54pm PST 
Also, You've only had him a short time, so he's still probably adjusting to his new home. Some dogs adjust quickly and others take weeks or months. Good Luck!
[notify]