GO!

I bought them a new puzzle

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 10:49am PST 
and I was a little shocked at the results.

Shadow thinks its wonderful, and figured it out in seconds. It gives out chicken hotdogs so its her new best friendlaugh out loud I was a bit surprised at how quickly she learned to move the pieces and with no input from me.
Bud tried to eat it first but once I discouraged that he actually figured it out. I had to prompt a bit but he did get it and learned a new command- push- in the process. He isn't really a bright dog so I wasn't surprised that he needed help.
The real surprise was Sabi. She couldn't figure it out and more importantly got frustrated and actually walked away. She lives for food and this is the dog we had to carry off a track after 2.5 hours when the police finally gave up.( she found the guy an hour later anyway at an unrelated call). I was shocked when she gave up, and a bit concerned. I expected this to be a no brainer for her, all she had to do was slid the pieces over. She barely tried. She can open doors and gates, she figured out how to slip a choke chain, she just about trained herself and she quits on a simple puzzle?
So is this just an age thing? Is this another of her 'I don't do tricks' things? I was just really surprised and I'm not sure if I should be worried.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 11:34am PST 
Actually I find your post kind of comfortingbig laughbig laughbig laughlaugh out loud

I've always accepted that my dogs weren't the brightest crayons in the box. Before Callie came if you put a small shoebox in the doorway in front of Sophie-she'll squeal and whine because she can't get past the box-60lbs of well built dog...nope, can't do it.

But i never thought about that, dogs who are trained to do amazing things and be working dogs getting confused by puzzle toys. Guess it's like people, I can write some excellent essays but putting together even a 25 piece jigsaw puzzle...gahhh, I'd probably give up.laugh out loud

Edited by author Thu Mar 21, '13 11:35am PST

[notify]
Kato

Birds!

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 12:42pm PST 
I don't really know, but with Kato, sometimes it seems like he thinks he's above the "childish" games. Or at least that's what it looks like to me.laugh out loud

I'll toss a treat dispensing toy, and he'll just give me a look like "really? This silly thing again."

Then other days, I'll toss the same thing to him, and he'll be like "Oh yay! Finally! I love this thing!"

Maybe she was just having one of her more noble days?shrug
[notify]

Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 12:47pm PST 
Rocky HATED puzzles lol... He was so intelligent and work driven but put a puzzle down to him and his attention span disappears... I swear, if he could have shrugged his shoulders and said 'life's too short', he would have laugh out loud

Dexter makes other dogs look stupid when it comes to puzzles... He's amazing at them... He would shrug his shoulders and ask if I wanted to insult his intelligence any more lol.

I can't wait to see what Skip's reaction will be puppy

I guess it is mostly to do with individual dogs, rather than their work ethic or drive... Out of all my dogs I would have thought Rocky would be the best with puzzles... Or maybe they just like to fool us mere humans? Lol.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 1:26pm PST 
Charlie has a blast with puzzles. He LOVES to work for his food.

That said.. When I put one in front of Ria, helped her along a little just to give her the jist of 'move this and you get THAT!'... haha, well... When I stopped helping, she sat, stared at it, and wouldn't move. She was waiting for me to give them to her! And when I wouldn't, she walked away. She lacks patience.
[notify]