GO!

What do you teach first?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Kuma

It's Puppy-Town,- to you.

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 4:55pm PST 
So Kuma's getting pretty good at learning her tricks... even though her breed is super energetic (JackRussel/BlueHeeler). She's only 13.5 weeks old and just learned "Down" today.

Here's my question:
Kuma learned "Leave it", and I can use it in conjunction with "Down" and she stays lieing down ..... should I teach her "Wait" as well? or have I accidentally started using "Leave it" as "wait" when a treat is involved? eek
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 5:06pm PST 
Kuma- the way I see it "leave it" is reserved for things that they're NEVER allowed to have... that's why when I was teaching it I'd tell the dogs to "leave it" the food in one hand, and when they finally complied I'd feed them a different treat from my other hand. "Wait" means just "wait and you can have it later." smile
[notify]
Kuma

It's Puppy-Town,- to you.

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 5:25pm PST 
Ah! good idea.... I'll implement that immediately. Glad she's only 13.5weeks so training will be a snap. smile
[notify]

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 8:16pm PST 
Since I live in a multi-dog household, the very first thing I taught my puppy was a hand signal for: go in there. Whether "there" was a crate, the other room, etc. I needed to direct traffic.
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 9:02am PST 
Housebreaking is a big thing as well. I can't believe I forgot about that one laugh out loud
[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 10:19am PST 
I teach them all concurrently the life skills they need as the situation arises. I don't allow any problem to recur as I concentrate on singular issues. This is a new venue, new handler, new rules. I establish the rules, and acceptable behavior. Therefore, each infraction is handled as it occurs. This means sit, down, recall, house manners, territorial issues, etc.

With puppies, target training and retrieve training is a priority. Sit is a building block. Recall is a building block. As is the retrieve. With target training, I can get everything else.

What do I teach first? ALL of them!!!
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 11:55am PST 
Sit
Down
Wait
Recall

They are the most important commands. Everything else comes at a slower pace, but i do try to get these behaviours established early, although the recall is often ongoing.
[notify]
Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 5:03pm PST 
Sheesh, I can't believe I forgot about housetraining! laugh out loud That definitely comes first.

Sounds like recall, leave it, housetraining and something like wait/stay/hold position are the basics for most everyone. Which makes sense, really.

I never really thought about "touch" as a basic/beginning command, but now that I think about it I can see how it can be a great base for other behaviors as well. Where do you usually go first from there? As a tool for teaching recall, or...?
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2