GO!

I can't stop my dog from peeing all over the house!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Piper &- Molly

We Love Barking!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 9:12pm PST 
Hello,

We recently adopted a 4 year old Dachshund. She obviously wasn't potty trained because she uses our entire house like it's a toilet.

So after a while of figuring that she'd "figure it out" if we kept taking her outside, she didn't. So I started searching the internet and reading. I read about a billion times to take her outside on a schedule, and to praise her with a treat IMMEDIATELY after she went outside.

Nope...that's didn't work at all. But it gets worse.

We recently adopted a 2nd Dachshund who is potty trained pretty well. She's had a few "accidents" but for the most part she is going outside.

Both the new dog and the original dog get along great, but the peeing is OUT OF CONTROL. Now Piper (the peeing dog in question) is 10X worse.

She's basically peeing everywhere...5 times today alone. To make you want to jump off a cliff even more, she is going outside, then coming back inside, then peeing on the floor.

I don't know what to do. I thought the praise/treat/positive reinforcement would work, but after a solid month she's not getting it.

I hate pee....

Could she be doing it just to show she's the leader with the newer dog? Does she hate us?

I also have read a hundred thousand times that when they pee in the house they may be sick and need to see a vet. Honestly, I think that is a vet talking...

Vets where I live cost an INSANE amount of money, and she is a really healthy dog. I swear...she does it because she hates us.

I don't know what I left out or if anyone can help, but I can't take it anymore. We saved this dog from certain death (literally) and now I don't even want her anymore.

I know that sounds harsh, but our house is covered in pee and it stinks and it sucks.

Please help me...

Thanks,

w
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 9:44pm PST 
First off, I just had to say I suspected you had a Dachshund before I clicked on your post, just from reading the title!
Secondly, Piper is NOT peeing everywhere because she hates you.
Dachshunds are notoriously difficult to house train. I recently spoke to a man who confessed he felt guilty every time he saw one, since he had given his up due to house training woes.
The good news is, once they're trained, they are very reliable. Lupi hasn't had an accident in years.

If your house smells like pee, it is literally your dogs' toilet. First off, you need to deep clean every area they've gone. Get rid of any area rugs for now. Use a cleaner made for urine, not ammonia based products, which smell like urine to a dog. Vinegar works.

Next, you have to make sure the dogs don't have the opportunity to go potty inside the house. Are they crate trained? Kennel them when you're not watching them. Or tether them to you, so you can notice as soon as they start sniffing around. When you know they need to go, take them outside, praise like crazy when they go. Even if you catch them in the act, carry them outside and encourage them to "go potty"

As far as the vet thing-unfortunately, I don't know how you could rule out a UTI without a vet visit. You should rule that out.

One thing I found helpful when Lupi was a puppy, was teaching her to ring a bell when she needed to go out. Doxies aren't very patient, and if you don't notice them standing by the door they may decide to just go where they can.

I hope you get this sorted out-I completely understand your frustration, but honestly, you CAN do this. You really have to treat these dogs like untrained puppies. No freedom until they've earned it.
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 9:50pm PST 
Also wanted to add re: the schedule,

Every dog needs to go to the bathroom in the morning and evening, so for sure you should be able to get her to go outside at those times. Wait it out. Don't go back inside until she does her business. And yes, the treats will definitely help. Doxies are SO food motivated. Take special, amazing treats with you that they never get at any other time. Treat immediately after they go, and make sure to use your cue ("go potty!") while they are actually doing it. They will make the connection.
[notify]

Piper &- Molly

We Love Barking!

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 10:11am PST 
Thank you Lupi!

I know she doesn't hate us, but geez...it's really killing me. The worst thing is that she was doing a lot better for a while, then it seems like she totally stopped caring and just went wherever she stood.

We have a wet-vac thing and we try to get the pee up immediately but it's happened so much that I'm sure there are spots we haven't found yet.

I think we will do what you say, and keep her on a very tight leash. I do try to watch her at all times, but you have to live life too.

OH. We do crate her and at night she loves her crate, but during the day she whines when we put her in there. Actually, she has pretty bad separation anxiety and almost demands to be on someone's lap or she is annoying.

We have tried and halfway failed at getting her to be less anxious, but now we are taking a stand and not putting her on our lap during the day (my wife and I both work at home so Piper could sit in our lap literally all day)

Thanks so much, I'm glad I found Dogster!
[notify]
Megatron

The Tinydog

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 11:08am PST 
I went through a period of having to housebreak my Chihuahua. She was from a house where she was potty trained in theory, but whenever it was inconvenient to get outside all the dogs in the house would go pee in the basement or on a rug. I managed to solve it by doing some very heavy duty management of the dog for the first few months. It's a pain in the butt, but the few months of watchfulness has paid off in years of reliability.

Basically, you need to find a spot where she won't pee, and keep her confined to there, gradually increasing the size of the area based on her continued success. You need to ensure she's getting out often, and is well exercised since you're going to be restricting her freedom so much. For instance, with Mega, when she first arrived she was either crated at night, in an exercise pen in our kitchen, out on a walk, or sitting on a lap. After a month of that I started leaving her uncrated in my bedroom during the day since she had displayed a desire to never soil the room. We began relaxing our requirement to always be watching her if she was uncrated once she'd shown a solid month of trustworthiness. Along the way, we would give her bathroom breaks every 1-2 hours, and got to know her voiding schedule so we knew when she was empty.

Spot cleaning the carpet isn't enough. You'll need to use a enzymatic cleaner to completely remove the smell. Consider going through your house with a black light to find spots you may have missed.

I also would not grant her any freedom until she's gone a month showing herself to be trustworthy. Mature dogs can be tricky to housebreak since they've developed a habit and/or preference for voiding indoors, so first you have to break the habit, then you have to instill a preference for going outdoors.

Edited by author Wed Feb 20, '13 11:17am PST

[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 11:25am PST 
Agree with everything Lupi says.

And a wet-vac won't pull out smell. If you have carpets... Get a carpet cleaner(or borrow one, lease one, etc), or take an enzyme cleaner made specifically for urine(or vinegar), and SCRUB those areas clean. If I use vinegar water, what I do is 1/2 vinegar, 1/2 water ratio, spray down the area, let it sit for a bit, then pull it up with my wet vac, then dust baking soda onto the area to pull out any residual smell. I let the baking soda sit for a while(DO NOT let the dogs lick it up!), and then vacuum. This is when I don't have access to a cleaner and it's worked successfully for years, as my Beagle has epilepsy and has a tendency to pee in his sleep too. Just removing the pee doesn't remove the smell. Those hounds have noses like you wouldn't believe!

Also, tethering her to you during the day will help you to recognize the signs of when she has to pee. Keep in mind that she has a small bladder, so it doesn't take much or them to have a full bladder and have to pee again. Some dogs start sniffing around the floor, others start pacing or looking uncomfortable. If my puppy has to go, she sniffs around and looks restless. If my Beagle has to go, he'll go sit by the door, or a wall, stare at you and wait for you to notice him, or if he's REALLY needing to go, he'll come sit pretty in front of you. laugh out loud

Do crate her, despite the crying. If you let her out when she's crying to be let out, she learns that she gets her way and that it releases her from the kennel. Give her a SUPER YUMMY treat whenever you put her in there, such as a Kong stuffed with delicious goodies. You can also do crate games(can be found on youtube) with her to get her to start associating the crate with good things too and get her more used to being in there during the day. If you can't watch her, she NEEDS to be confined so she cannot have the chance to go to the bathroom in your house.

If you make a schedule, it will be far easier. When I got Charlie, he wasn't house broken and I started monitoring his water intake, and making a schedule - I let him out once every hour, on the hour, until I started picking up his patterns of WHEN he had to go and what he would do when he had to go, because for the first several months, he didn't know how to let me know. Eventually, he figured out that every time he walked by the door, I would take him outside, so he began going to the door when he needed out. As per Lupi's suggestion of the door bells - awesome idea!

I'm sorry your pup is frustrating you so much. hug
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 11:40am PST 
I'm telling ya since I started fostering I feel like I'm just in a big house training/crate training cycle!

When you put her in the crate make sure to always give her something a kong or chew so she learns that going in there is good and then ignore the crying. Do not let her out while she's crying or she'll think making noise is how she gets out!

All I have to add to the housetraining is that if your other dog is going outside make a huge deal over it and give her treats in front of the one that isn't. That's how I housetrained a puppy that was given up because of housetraining issues. The other dogs would potty and I'd freak out cheering and giving them treats (they were confused but happy to get treats) and the puppy would come running over, smell the pee and pee too then get a treat too. It only took him a couple days to make the connection and he started peeing on his own outside to get that treat first.

Also they are serious when they say after every nap, playing and meal. I could take them out after a nap, then feed them and take them out again and they'd go again!!

Edited by author Wed Feb 20, '13 11:41am PST

[notify]
Piper &- Molly

We Love Barking!

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 9:22pm PST 
I wanted to thank ALL of you so much for the help...I have some great ideas now.

We did some cleaning today with vinegar/water and the wet vac, and we will be calling our carpet cleaner too in the very near future to get it cleaner.

Piper is ok with a crate at night, but during the day she throws a huge fit. So maybe just giving her a good treat and not letting her out will do the trick. That's easier said than done though, because let's face it...it's not fun listening to a persistent dog whine!

I'm also thinking that even though she seems to love her new mate, it may be a bit stressful for her still...especially since the new mate is about twice her size (full size Dachshund vs mini) and about 5x more excited and playful.

I think it will be fine in time though. Dogs sure warm the heart, but man...they can also make you crazy! I wouldn't ever give either of them up, but it's just not cool living in a toilet, so we will be using all of these great suggestions.

I like this community, it sure beats reading lame articles online. I will be coming here a lot more to learn from all of you...so thanks for that!

Wally
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 6:27am PST 
Yeah I don't suggest trying to do the crating when you're already stressed because the noise they make will drive you up the wall. You need to be zen, meditate oooom I don't hear anything oooom I'm at peace. meditate

laugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]

Barked: Sat Nov 16, '13 6:12pm PST 
Wow... my story seems so similar to Molly and Piper.I have a 5 year old Border Collie and have a 6 month old Nova Scotia Duck Toller. My 6 month old Duck Toller, Daisy is taking forever to figure out the bathroom thing. She often heads outside and once she comes in she'll end up peeing. We also just got her fixed this past week and she seems to be doing alot more peeing in a few different places ... any ideas why this is occurring? I am wondering if she may have an infection or something? anxiety? forgetting she has to go and just letting it go right away....
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3