GO!

Stay Command

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Nietzsche

Cell Phone- Chargers...

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 2:22pm PST 
What's the best way to teach a dog how to stay? Nietzsche is 16 weeks and knows sit, law down, paw, bark, and "touch". She's had these "tricks" since she was 12 weeks or so. I'd like to at least get her to stay by using treats and hopefully have it more useful for control.
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 4:41am PST 
Start with small intervals.
"Sit - Stay" 3 seconds. Then release and reward.
If she breaks, state "wrong" or "nope" or whichever word you use, put him back into place and start again.
Ensure that you are in the room and watching at this point. Eventually you will be able to move up to the point where you can leave the room or provide distractions - but it may not be for a few months.

Build up slowly. Keep a 3 day period within 2 seconds of "stay" time.
She's still a young pup with an abundance of energy - I assume. So setting realistic time frames on the stay at this point is vital.
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 4:56am PST 
Just slowly increase time or distance or distractions. And combine them later. Impulse control practices can also be good. Try to return to your dog and reward him/her before he changes position or leaves the spot you left him/her. When he/she can stay longer vary the time so that sometimes he/she stays only a short time and sometimes longer. When you add distraction, do not add distance and when you add distance do not add distraction. Make sure that the spot is safe and not uncomfortable like it is not nice to stay on an ant nest.

I don't know how puppies progress with stay training because Alva was a bit older when I started really training stay. From the very beginning I usually teach my dogs that a position command means that the dog makes the move and stays there. For me, training stay means that she must hold that position even if I move or lose eye contact with her. So Alva has 'always' known to stay very short periods when I am next to her but when I started really practicing it she was about a year old. This had nothing to do with her growth, but that I decided to be more ambitious with her.

I would assume that a puppy or a young dog can concentrate less than an adult or older dog so make sure you do not ask your puppy too much too early.

Alva tended to leave the stay when she was younger. I guess I hadn't practiced slowly enough and put her into a too difficult stay. When she left for first times I scolded her and that was a mistake. Because later, I think, she may have left because she was stressed if she should stay or not. I scolded her no more. When she tried to move I told her to lie down again. If she left I called her and guided her back to where she had to stay and tried to remember to get to reward for a good stay in time. She found her trust again. With some difficult distractions I rewarded as soon as it had passed by Alva and she had stayed (I was usually near her at this stage) to tell her that it is preferred to stay especially when distractions are around.

Now she is 3 and she stays fine. I should still practice some distractions I haven't because I am one lazy trainer. Like someone throwing balls or sticks near her and I've no eye contact. Or that I can run and shout or dance and sing. I tried it once and she thought that my busyness was meant to be her reward.

Yep, didn't I mention. Practice weird distractions and such when you have advanced to the level where you can practice weird distractions. Alva has for example done stays at railway stations and stairs or me doing stupid things like hopping on one foot.

So, if your dog leaves before you allow him/her, you have made him/her stay too long or the place can be too distracting. Do not make my mistake. I would just call the dog and redo the practice but make sure that it is not too difficult or too long.
[notify]

Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 8:35am PST 
Wanted to add:
Make sure you reward while the dog is still in position, not after he breaks the stay. After rewarding, use a release word, like "ok" so they know they can move.
[notify]