GO!

Maybe we aren't the right home for her :-(

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Josie

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 4:52pm PST 
I'm in the middle of a 2 week trial adoption with Josie. She is very sweet, likes to meet new people, loves to play with dogs, and is calm. She might be 4 years old or so.

However, she doesn't seem very happy. She loves to play with other dogs, and we are looking to be a one-dog family. We try to play with her, and she loses interest very quickly, just laying around. We take her to doggie daycare and she runs like mad playing with the dogs for hours. We try to leave her alone at home and she gets frantic with panic.

She was a stray and my guess is that she is used to living with dogs.

I keep telling myself it's only been a week, give her time, but then another voice says the longer she stays here the harder it will be on her and us if we return her to the rescue.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 5:12pm PST 
Hello !

Goodness.. you said it.. its ONLY A WEEK !!

The dog is a rescue.. been taken from pillar to post... needs time to build a bond with you.

You obviously are well on the way to loving her.. just give it TIME !!!

Think on it... if someone picked you up.. dropped you in a totally strange place with strange people... would YOU feel like trusting without having time to adapt ?

Think of it all in her mind.Play with her... make gentle goals for her... seems all she knows is dogs.. she has to learn to love you.

You are expecting far too much way to soon... but you have a good start... WORK at the bond.. it takes time

You can do it.. you have said she is a sweet girl.. thats a wonderful start for you and for her !

hughughughughug
[notify]
Isabelle the- Great

Nothing is- greater than an- Springer!

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 5:13pm PST 
It can take up to six months for a dog to fully adjust to a new situation. She may not have experience with humans if she was a stray, so give her time.

As for not playing at home, its still a new environment. I am thinking you should skip on the doggy daycare until she is used to being at home. When we get new fosters we always give them two weeks to adjust before they go to the dog park or anywhere with us.

Bonds take time. You have to be willing to take time and effort to invest in Josie. Take obedience classes or something that will strengthen you bond as dog and owner.

I have had my current foster since November and she is only beginning to play with us. It took her two months before she would play with my family and me so do not be discouraged right now!
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 5:29pm PST 
It took me 6 months to decide I belong with my person. Give the poor thing time, you will be glad you did.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 8:28pm PST 
I can't make the decision for you but I can honestly tell you we got both Mika and Kai as puppies that were all of 8 or 9 weeks old and even they took about 2 weeks to really begin to start getting used to the idea that our home was now their home,with an older dog who most likely has not had much experience with people it does take longer for them to adjust to people let alone new people,new surroundings,new routines,and a new life,as others have said given time to get to know you,trust you,become used to her new environment and new way of life,I am sure she will learn to love you,love her new home and become a very happy,playful,and wonderful part of your family.Wether or not you are willing to put in the time and effort to build that relationship is completely up to you,if you feel that you aren't able to be patient and give her the time she needs then perhaps it would be best to return her to the rescue and give up the idea of having a dog because no dog,even a puppy will be instantly happy and playful in a new situation they all need time to adjust to new things.wishes to you.
[notify]
Ezra

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 9:01pm PST 
I got Ezra when he was about a year old. It took weeks before I felt like we'd bonded, and, our bond is still growing almost 2 years later. He also is one who will play for a few minutes with humans, but will happily go all day at doggy daycare. I don't think that means he hates it with me, he just likes to nap near me, and his style of playing is more chasing and less fetching, so it's easier for him to play with dogs than humans. He still definitely likes hanging out with me, or going for walks with me or practicing tricks with me, so I don't think our lack of free for all playing means we don't have a good bond.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 9:38pm PST 
I hand raised Shadow and our bond is still growing 2 years later. We play tag, I chase her until I get close enough to touch, then she chases me until she catches me. We also spend time cuddling and watching TV, but tag is her favorite.
And Sabi really doesn't play, I throw the ball she says 'you threw it, you fetch it'. Sometimes she will lower herself to play but her favorite thing is going for a walk with me.

Please give her time, a stray has no reason to trust you but she's trying.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 9:54pm PST 
I would actually agree with Isabelle the Great. It can take a while for your dog to get used to her new home. Anyway, she's only been with you and your family for a week, and that's not exactly a long time. It seems to me like you're actually happy to have her. You're worried that she may not be having a good time with you because she looks so happy being with dogs in a doggie daycare. Continue spending time with her. She'll eventually adjust to all that's new to her now. Just be a little more patient.
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 8:42am PST 
Both of my pups (one brought in as a stray, later found out he had an owner who had dumped him at a 7-11 so they don't know how long he was on the street) took at least 2 months to even begin to settle in. We've had this dog for 6 months and it seems every day he gets more and more comfortable and more and more attached to us. I think at first he thought we would just leave and never come back (he would get all worked up if a door separated him from us, or even a barrier he could see through). I think after while he saw we weren't going anywhere and we saw his stress level drop and he began to play with us more and relax when we were coming and going. It's about letting them adjust to your routine and the new normal. And I think it's even harder for dogs that aren't used to really living with people, like strays who have been living on their own or dogs who spent all their time in a backyard or on a chain with little interaction.

Give her time. Don't push yourself on her, just keep giving her opportunities to interact/play with you. She'll bond to you over time smile
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 10:03am PST 
I feel almost awkward here posting given what all have been saying, which I don't disagree with at all....it's great advice and on target....but with that said, this is a trial adoption of two weeks. The point of which is to see if this is the dog for you. So for you, OP, I feel sort of bad in that on one hand the rescue believes in letting you have this two week test run, and yet on the other to be hearing that two weeks isn't near enough time.

I co-run a rescue, and we don't do trials a lot....we've done it twice, I think, for nervous adopters.....but we do lots of assessments and match with discretion. That doesn't mean I am not a believer in trials. I think it is something rescue should offer to be sure they are addressing parts of the market, for some people love the concept of rescue but are made nervous with so little history and really want extra assurance they are making the right decisions, so trials are great for that.

My advice to you is to first recall why you selected Josie. Could you tell us? That's an important thing and may help ground your thinking a little bit.

Perhaps you are over analyzing, perhaps not. I can try and help you figure it out, though. This is the opportunity for you to figure out if this is the dog for you.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9