GO!

Chewing and jumping on counters

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Mix

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 5:51pm PST 
I have a 15 month old dog. She is 80 pounds and chews everything in site. She jumps on my kitchen counters with paws and helps herself. No matter what's up there she will take. She goes in garbages takes out of there too. She has nyla bones and every other chew toy available.
No matter how stern you are with her she isn't learning. She is driving me absolutely nuts. Please any advice would be great.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 7:41am PST 
How much exercise is your dog getting?
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 9:39am PST 
Have you tried crating her when you're gone? She is an adolescent dog and they're usually little destructive "pains" at that age. wink If she is not having separation anxiety, it's probably just a passing thing. Keep her crated when you're gone and once she stops trying to destroy her bedding, you can use doors, baby gates, etc. to slowly expand the area she is allowed to roam in if she doesn't destroy anything after gaining more freedom.
[notify]

Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 9:52am PST 
Make the garbage inaccessible. Remove all food from counters. Teach a "leave it" command. Baby gate the kitchen so she can not get in there. Prevent her from being able to rehearse the behaviour.
Management & training. Expecting her to "know better" or make the connection by yelling at her when you catch her is not realistic. Much better to just remove temptation while you work on training for what you want.
Pat Miller, in her "The Power of Positive Dog Training" says it best. I will paraphrase..."who is the smarter species? Chewing shoes? Don't leave them laying about. Counter-surfing? Remove the food reward." It won't be forever..just until the behaviour is extinguished from lack of reinforcement.
[notify]