GO!

Teaching to not cross the street

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 5:17pm PST 
Charka does auto-sits at the curb... no biggie, many dogs do. Oh, wait... I trained her to do this at the end of her 6ft leash, not next to me. She sits and waits for a) me to catch up and b) to release her. Proofing? Well, SIL took her for walk with leash clipped to her tags rather than clip on collar. She saw a critter on the other side of the street and bolted toward it. Clip gave; SIL screamed her name and Charks came to a perfect sit at the curb awaiting further instruction... while the critter went on doing its thing. I am proud Charka stopped... not so proud that she took advantage of SIL and started to chase the critter wink

IMHO, you train sit-at-curb outside of heal position thinking YOUR stop should not be part of the cue!
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 6:36pm PST 
Google Kikopup Invisible Barriers.

I haven't used her method myself. Personally, I just work on having a dynamite recall and recalled my dogs anytime they'd get near the edge of the lawn. Now they don't cross over unless we're on a walk or I walk over it with them. You would have to proof this by having bait across the forbidden line to build up their resistance to crossing the line.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2