GO!

Barking help

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 8:35am PST 
Koorazh barks. Some days he is very quiet, but when there is any form of external stimulation, he barks. He barks at squirrels, he barks in response to other dogs (and almost all the houses near us have dogs), he barks at people walking down the street, or, heaven forbid, people walking down the street with a dog. Sometimes he just barks, a bark every ten seconds, which we have jokingly compared to the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence. Sometimes he lays on his side on the ground, and barks, one bark every ten seconds. It is the strangest thing I have ever seen.

I have tried everything I can think of. When he barks, I bring him in for at least twenty minutes or a half an hour. We play the "in an out" game all day, and since we have done it for years now, I think it is not working. At one point I tried a citronella spray collar. He learned that if he runs while barking, the spray just blows away in the wind. I even briefly tried a no bark shock collar against all my better judgment. It didn't work. If it was set to distraction level, he ignored it. I upped it until he yipped in pain, but I couldn't stand it.

On a typical day he either gets 2.5 miles of walk and some squeaky ball time or he goes to a doggy daycare while I go to work and plays with thirty or so other dogs. I only let him in the yard between 9 am and about 4:30 pm (and try to let him out later on weekends). He is never in the yard when I am not home.

My concern is that we have neighbors with whom we've had other problems. And wouldn't you know it, that's the fence line he likes to go down and bark at, because there is a dog in the house on the other side that he thinks he needs to communicate with.

I am at a loss on how to shape this behavior.

Edited by author Thu Jan 24, '13 8:38am PST

[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 9:40pm PST 

It's important to determine the cause for the barking so that it can be addressed. If your dog is reacting to so many different stimuli, it could be that he's over stimulated.

Edited by moderator Fri Jan 25, '13 10:50am PST

Edited by forums moderator
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 9:15am PST 
Have you tried much shorter time outs, like 5 minutes? I don't think he is getting the connection that barking means he loses outside time, so a shorter time out might help him make that connection. Have you tried teaching him to bark on cue? Teach him to bark on cue, then teach him a quiet cue. This can help to give you more control over his barking.

Edited by author Fri Jan 25, '13 9:23am PST

[notify]

Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 8:08am PST 
Either he is not getting the connection with time outs or he doesn't care too much. I'll try a shorter duration.

Hard to teach him to bark on cue or a quiet command because he very rarely barks inside the house. Outside of the house where he is barking in response to external stimuli, he is so excited by what he is barking about that it is hard to engage his attention for training. He doesn't bark in play.
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 6:34am PST 
Does he bark like that inside the house? Does he need to be outside so much? If the stimulation is too much for him, perhaps you should keep him inside.
[notify]