GO!

What Are You Doing For "Train Your Dog Month?"

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 9:43am PST 
I'd be curious to hear how the Comp OB classes go, and what you learn. All the better for the drill, right?

I'm not sure what I'm training, I'm just training. Refining fronts and swing finishes, handstand, beg -> 2 feet, retrieving random objects and flyball are all on my plate right now. Do we ever stop training our dogs?
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 9:49am PST 
I really like the wide & varied responses. Cohen..you are so right. Being an Eisenmann fan, I never stop educating. Moose..did the dog eat your homework? No treat for you! (said like soup nazi from Seinfeld)laugh out loud
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 9:51am PST 
So far I've been told pretty much everything she and I have been taught need to be unlearned.
Even the word "sit" is to be retaught because she rocks back instead of tucks in. shrug

I've got high hopes though, they've said she works a lot better than Cobain
[notify]

Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 10:42am PST 
The rock back vs. tuck sit can be tricky. I never bothered with it with Cohen. She'll rock or tuck based on her arousal level and other situational factors. Next dog I'll teach a proper tuck sit 100% of the time for sure. Don't worry too much about re-teaching it though, it's really a relatively small thing. Just good to keep in mind!
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 12:56pm PST 
A stupid question: What are these rock back and tuck in sits?
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 1:09pm PST 
Not a stupid question Alva, I actually didn't know much about them until last night.

From what I understand, a rock back sit is when the dog sort of "rocks" back to sit. Leaning heavily towards their back end, and moving their front end to line up with the back.
This can effectively knock a dog out of the correct "heel" position.

Whereas the tuck sit is when the dog bring his/her back end into the front to sit.
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 4:05pm PST 
Thanks for answer, Rigby smile I asked that because I am not a native English speaker and no dictionary knows dog training terminology.
[notify]
Beasley

I'm the Bee's- Knees!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 4:09pm PST 
I'm teaching Beasley sign language!
happy dancehappy dancehappy dance
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 5:46pm PST 
Risa and I finally taking a class again (AKC rally run throughs) and working on focus amid dogs and other distractions. Since we haven't been in a class in 2 years, she's really lost her ability to focus in highly distracting areas. Since we plan on trialing in the spring, it's important to gain this back!

At home, we're working on positions using a platform. Right now, I'm really working hard on teaching her what the platform means (stand square with all four paws on it looking at me). While I'm training that, I'm also building more value for the front position which she needs a lot of work on. Once I get her really solid on understanding what getting on the platform means, I am going to start fixing her left side heel and working on her right side heel. Then we'll start standing behind. smile

I'm also teaching her right side backwards circles and she's really catching on to that fast. Of course, she LOVES to do them on the left so this doesn't surprise me. I'm working on getting them on cue only right now and then I will wean her off the training gates.

With my foster puppy, Sawyer, I'm working on desensitizing him to human touch (especially around his collar), building some confidence, and learning self-control. I just picked him up on Saturday and I like to give my fosters a week to settle in before I do any structured training.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 6:52pm PST 
Rigby and Cohen, does it matter what type of sit a dog does so long as the dog stays in heel position?

Rexy and I are taking a rally class and it's proving to be a real challenge. It's one thing to heel etc at home or out on a walk but another thing entirely to do it in a building with signs and cones and dogs on mats oh my! laugh out loud I'm hoping to be able to enter a small local trial this spring and compete for real.

And we're also in an advanced reactive class and have just gotten to the point where we can come to class without a crate! cheer
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4