GO!

I Am Not A Chew Toy %&**%$

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  
Smokey

Let's play tug!!

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 8:41pm PST 
Here is your previous thread. You do have to be consistent with ignoring her when she nips. You can't make an exception when you're feeling playful, feel guilty for leaving her, are tired and don't want to get off the floor, etc. You have to show her that when she nips, all the fun stops, every single time.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 10:36am PST 
Smokey, I tried the tree idea...we don't use a crate...but I need more of a direct confrontation plan with him. All ignoring him does is get bruises on my butt or elbows, if you turn your back on him he still tries to get your attention. If you can be a tree with a bear trap grazing your butt you're more serene than me. I'm trying to directly tell him "No NIP". One thing that helps is putting him in a hug and keeping his mouth shut till he calms down. I also have bully sticks by the door. After a good munch on those, he's calmed down a bit too.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2