GO!

walking 2 dogs

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 11:26am PST 
I think it all depends on where you're walking and how close you are to roads, how many other people/dogs are around, and how much your dogs like to play.

Ace periodically decides "let's wrestle" and jumps on Kale on walks, tangling leashes, etc. So the double-leash coupler thing didn't work for us.

I use two retractables, one in each hand, but always on alert. I have to watch for squirrels, other dogs, cyclists, etc. constantly. I keep Ace back of Kale just a little, so she can't randomly pounce on him.

For a while, I walked Kale on the longer retractable lead and Ace on a 4 or 6 foot lead, but locking the retractable is better for controlling her in the presence of distractions. (Prey drive!!! SQUIRRELLLLLL!!!)
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 1:54pm PST 
Just want to say I wish you the best, I just saw a woman last night walking two huskies...one saw Sophie and the other chimed in n' they almost took this poor lady down...
Sophie and Callie get along beautifully but their combined weight if they both saw a squirrel is just too much for me. Know many people walk multi dogs very nicely though snoopy
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 8:24pm PST 
Thank you all so much, I have lots of great idea's now...Nicky, I have never heard of a shoulder leash before but I really like that idea and it sounds like it would work perfectly, I will have to see if I can find one.
Squ'mey can you explain a bit what you mean by connecting the 2 leashes? Like you mean connecting them at the handles and then clipping one on each end?
Ace that is exactly what my dogs do, they will be walking along perfect and then one will decide to jump on the other and want to play then everything gets tangled and one big mess. Also I can't really match the 2 together because she is a pup and is still learning and she pulls a lot and wants to dart on the road so I have to really watch her, and Mika she is great on a leash after the clicker training I did with her.....until of course we come across another dog then she gets very hyper!!!
Opheila thank you for the vote of confidence! BOL laugh out loud Thankfully for me the pup is small enough that she does pull a lot but it is not like a big dog pulling...Mika used to pull but is much better now, I really do need to loose leash train Lexus before she gets to big though and it becomes a problem. I have been trying, but she is very stubborn when it comes to training on a leash...wich is weird because all the other training I have done with her has been going great and she is very willing to learn but not when it comes to the leash!!!!
[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 9:02pm PST 
Here is a fantastic lead you can use for Squam's method (two dogs on one side each on one lead, you holding the centre) and Nicky's (over the shoulder). There are a few different double clip convertibles out there but this one is both attractive and strong. Also great if you have one dog in both collar/halter and harness.

Rogz lumberjack leash

Another thing I forgot to mention is a walking belt. you could have one dog (puppy preferably) on your waist and one lead in your hand.
[notify]
Kye

I'm like- Einstein only- hairier.

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 11:24pm PST 
I used a coupler to teach my dog Carbon to heel. My old guy Kye is pretty good at correcting errant behavior, he doesn't get pushy or mean but he can stare any dog into behaving lol. If your older dog is gentle and heels well try coupling them, the older dog will get tired of the zigzagging and reprimand your pup. I wouldn't recommend this method if the older dog gets carried away with corrections or if she is particularly dominant or doesn't get along that well with the puppy.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 8:34am PST 
Lexus. Yep..I took the handle loop of one & put it through the handle loop of the second, then put the leash through the loop...like those paper chains kids make for xmaslaugh out loud So I end up with one 12 foot leash with a clasp at each end.
So if Wiley wants to mark & Squam wants to keep going, Wiley gets that whole 12 feet to do his thing & then catch up.
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 11:54am PST 
I did all kinds of things at first. At one time, I looped a short leash around my waist with Kale attached. I still held his lead, it was just backup in case I needed both hands for Ace. I did the leads looped together. I used a coupler. It just took time for both of them to get better at not chasing squirrels.

I'll be honest. I have been knocked down. I have been dragged a short distance. Sometimes I have fallen on purpose just to get the traction to hold them. It just happens a lot less often now. Progress. Baby steps

laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 1:12pm PST 
There is a dog walker in our neighborhood who literally stops traffic. Absolutely amazing woman, she walks a herd, a mountain dog, maybe three labs, a collie, a few terriers and her own retriever...at least 10 dogs and they all walk in step with her. If I can get a picture one day I'll post it. I've stopped to talk to her and she says she's had years with dogs and this group just get along really welllittle angellittle angel
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 8:14pm PST 
O.k thank you all very much, I am sure I will probably go through different things before I find what will work for them. I have to admit though I am having trouble teaching Lexus leash manners....she pulls bad!!! I am doing everything I am suppose to though, so i am sure she will learn soon.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 12:29am PST 
Like Nicky, I would always make sure that my little zig-zagger would always be on a longer leash to avoid tangling. I never was able to use a coupler as my other dog, Coco, was a Jack Russell and he was just too small to be paired with my Golden Retriever.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2