|Barked: Fri May 31, '13 3:29pm PST |
|The peeves that are most common at my dog park are:
1. Humpers and the owners who ignore the behavior rather than correct it.
2. Overly-energetic dogs bouncing all over a dog obviously not appreciating the attention and the owner not paying any attention to what their dog is doing.
3. Not picking up after your dog! Be courteous, most parks even provide the poop bags & trash cans!
4. Treats at a public dog park. Your dog might be good around others when food is involved, but there may be food-aggressive dogs nearby and that's asking for trouble. Keep the treats in the car for post-park awards.
5. Expecting every other dog to not approach you or your dog. Yes, this happens. Someone will come in with their dog, keep them on a leash, and walk the trail then pitch a fit whenever an off-lead dog wanders over to say hello. If you want an uninterrupted stroll with your dog, go to a local walking path, not the off-leash dog park. They're there to be dogs.
6. Toy-aggressive dogs + bringing their toys to the park. General rule is bring toys only if your dog is willing to share, and don't bring anything you aren't willing to leave without. Sometimes, toys get destroyed, stolen by another dog, misplaced, etc. Leave your valuable choices at home.
7. Unaltered dogs. Your male dog may be well behaved, but add an unaltered female or another unaltered male, and tension rises.
8. Flea protection. No under-aged dogs that haven't even had their booster rounds. No sickly dogs. No aggressive dogs. Etc. Seems common sense but people expose their own dogs, plus others to many things due to pure neglect of the basics.
|my posts | my page | msg me | my family's posts | gift me | become pals|| [notify]|