GO!

Hyperactive GSD

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 4 of 5: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 8:42am PST 

Edited by author Thu Jan 3, '13 8:45am PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 4:47pm PST 
So, guest, let me see if I got this right...you drug your dogs daily and they are chill.
You think WE are all wrong because we offer our dogs healthy exercise and stimulation instead of drugging them.
I fail to see the logic here.
[notify]
Kye

I'm like- Einstein only- hairier.

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 7:52pm PST 
Awe I missed "Guests" post before they edited it.

I really do not think drugging a dog is the way to go, seems lazy and harmful IMO. I probably will never get an answer to the question about those Border pups either thinking Oh well I guess lol.

Edited by author Thu Jan 3, '13 7:53pm PST

[notify]

Pandora

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 12:54pm PST 
Thanks for the advice everyone - Most of it constructive.

Zephyr - If you read back some, I said very early on that I wasn't going to go back to the trainer. And if that was your advice, you should have just said so. Delibrately insulting people and calling them out as bad owners only instigates their anger. Obviously.

Tiller - that is some great advice. A few of those things I cannot do, like be gone when my husband returns home as dinner is waiting on the stove and I can't leave the house with the stove on, but all in all, very good advice.

Pandora is super patient when treats are involved , unless other people are around. We do the patience training each day.

We do NILF, didn't know there was a name for it. I never let her do something she decideds to do because I havent given her permission first.

To be clear, I havent used the shock collar since our second trainer because it was obvious she would rather get shocked than behave.

I cannot use the bike because she nearly killed me last time we tried going on the bike. And she nearly killed herself too.

She does run on the treadmill each day, but not much, an hour at most. She doesn't like it much and I have to constantly praise her to do it.

I am going to look into this nosework stuff.

As for the drugs, thanks but no thanks. I joke about giving her doggy ritalin but it's just a joke.

Also, she has had all kinds of bones. She couldn't care less for them. Even fresh ones from the butcher shop. She doesn't want them or care for them. I don't know what her problem is there.

As for her schedule running my life, that is how I want it. I want to spend 95% of my day with my dogs. I love them. Even if she were a calm, well trained dog, i would not want to spend any less time on her.
But thanks everyone!

Edited by author Fri Jan 4, '13 12:58pm PST

[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 1:27pm PST 
One of the things to keep your sanity is that this DOES level. Though one of my yodelers remained one his whole life....boy did that drive me nuts laugh out loud hug

If the bike is a no....this is nothing you have to do, just throwing it out there....is road work with a car. You need two people and a quieter road, one to drive the car and one to hold the leash outside of the window and have the dog trot alongside. Better than a bike, IMO, because it's quicker and requires less training to get your dog to do it. I have road worked both my Giants, who can have a rather unfathomable energy when young.

If you can't walk her when your husband comes home, either consider putting her away with a toy stuffed with liverwurst or something else similarly intoxicating, or if she's trained to wait patiently for her food, have your husband come in with dog bowl in hand and tell her its time for supper. Sometimes you have to be creative, lol! That she's such a food freak at least gives you something to play with. I know you could also leash her, but my guess is she jumps in the air and yodels a lot big laugh

I *know* the focus part can be hard at this age with this type. Just be sure when you CAN get it you get it to perfection, and avoid asking for it when you are pretty sure it's a losing proposition, as that only reinforces her spastic-ness. Then just think of her food love. One day at a time, but she WILL level. You basically have to be inventive, go for perfection when you can, use the reinforcers that get attention as much as possible, do NOT ask for any known command when you are pretty sure she's too jazzy to follow ("over the top"), and above all be CREATIVE wink They are way too witty for their own good at this age....half mindless, half brilliant laugh out loud

And try to keep things in perspective and stay rational and calm. I know this can get under your skin, but when you get that way you can't really think smart. And it's only reinforcing her behavior.

Sorry you are going through all this but it gets better, and in the meanwhile be happy that she loves her life, is a positive thinker, nicely social and has things in her life she loves. Those are all big dividends in the future....some dogs go through crazy fear stages, aggressive stages, etc. She's just a stubborn and slightly obsessed bouncing ball. You'll have yourself a good one once she matures. I know one day seems like a thousand, but each one can get better if you employ smart, productive strategies, and then she matures and when she's five these will be memories you joke about. She's a nice girl....just a little zany right now wink
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 2:21pm PST 
I cannot use the bike because she nearly killed me last time we tried going on the bike. And she nearly killed herself too.

Were you using a bike attachment? We use the WalkyDog, my dog cannot pull me over. If I were just using a regular leash then I'd be regularly nearly dying. There is also the Springer.
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 4:31pm PST 
I agree with the suggestions that she is a dog that needs a job. Some kind of training like agility or nose work would probably be great for her. Good Luck!
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 4:52pm PST 
I was going to say the same thing Kolbe.

The first time I tried biking with Sanka, I thought I broke my arm. But I was just going it wrong. I was holding on to his leash which was attached to his collar. Yeah, no good!

But when I wrapped the leash around the seat and attached it to a harness, it was super easy. Even if he pulled to the side it was transitioned into forward motion.

I prefer rollerblades now because it's easier to go at slower speeds, but it is definitely easier to stop on a bike than on blades.

Edited by author Fri Jan 4, '13 4:52pm PST

[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 5:26pm PST 
It really sounds like she needs a JOB. Smart, active dogs like GSDs really need more activity than a long walk. It's just not enough to tire them out. You should look into some type of training class (agility, nosework, tracking, freestyle, rally, obedience, flyball, etc.). There are so many options and I really think that would help calm her down. Not only would mental and physical activity tire her brain and body, but training will help her learn self-control. It's really a win-win since that's what she needs.

She's a young, active dog who needs a lot to be happy. When Risa was younger, I could take her for 4+ mile walks and she was still zippy and ready to go when we got home. Not tired. After a training class, however, she was much more sedate and ready to relax. She's about 9 years old now and still needs more than just a walk to be truly content; she thrives on training and being mentally challenged. A walk is great and I think dogs should get out. But there is a LOT to be said for wearing out the brain.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 5:31pm PST 
I forgot about blades! I use them coz JT is getting older and likes to trot, not run, and because a walk is pretty much all about the sniffing and marking (even with the walky dog he'd wanna stop every five seconds and besides, I'm a bad rider!) But the blades are good. We go onto the foot path and just roll along. Very fun. I do work him before we do it though so he doesn't get too excited and pull me faster than I'm comfortable, but I've seen people race and get up amazing speed roller-joring.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 5: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5