GO!

Hyperactive GSD

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 12:05pm PST 
Okay, if that's the case, I know that dog too.laugh out loud

My cousin's GSD. I made it my goal whenever I watched her to actually wear her out. To get her to lay down and stay still for more than 10 seconds on her own in the house. Seriously a tough debacle. I tried a lot of my normal stuff for my 2. Didn't take with that GSD.

She did love the ball, and I ended up putting my old softball skills to good use. Throwing a softball up and hitting it as far as I could with the bat. She never failed to retrieve it and never got tired of it. So, I just stuck with that. Pretty much every day I failed at tiring her completely out. I wore out before her, usually because she loved chewing on the balls and wouldn't give them back and thus chasing would ensue.

So I got smart. Got 2 balls. Asked her to Aus! (drop it) and eventually she complied, knowing she'd get to chase another ball. So, I used that ball to teach other things. She already knew most commands, but I wasn't her owner. I was just her play buddy, so she ignored all my words pretty much from the start.

Fetch with commands was the straw that broke the camel's back. And sure enough, the day came where I was able to sit down and watch T.V. with a "tired" GSD at my side. Tired in quotes because I know if I asked her to do anything, she'd be up for it. But at that moment, she was content to actually lay down and be still.
[notify]
Riku (Forever Missed)

Heart of Gold

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 1:45pm PST 
Oh Man... Riku could walk for HOURS..... Hours and hours and it did nothing... And she was still doing it at 10 years old. Miles and miles of walking and off leash running every day.

I think tiring her out is critical, and more training using the ball as a reward is going to do the trick, I believe. Because when a dog is working their mind as well as their body, it tires them out much more efficiently.
[notify]
Pandora

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 2:44pm PST 
We walk four times a day for one hour each time. If we don't, she is much worse. We also spend most of Sat & Sun at the dog park.

Yes, we got her at five weeks. She was a farm dog and if we didn't take her they were going to "take her out back".

Edited by moderator Tue Jan 22, '13 8:09pm PST

Edited by forums moderator

Pandora

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 2:57pm PST 
We have a very strict schedule.

530 - wake, outside to pee
600 - crated while i shower
630 - walk
730 - breakfast
800 - sit, stay, come lie down, training
830 - outside
900 - 12 - work from home, make her lie down near me
12 - lunch
1230 - walk
130 - training
200 fetch in the yard
230 - walk
330 - 5 - work from home, make her lie down near me
5 - 6 - outside while i make supper
6 - make her eat
6 30 - husband comes home, dog goes ape, ends up on leash and lead collar to keep her restrained
700 - 800 - watch tv, cuddle with dog on couch
8 - 9 walk or fetch if too tired
9 bedtime, dog is crated overnight in living room so she doesnt whine or destroy house

Edited by author Wed Jan 2, '13 2:58pm PST

[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 3:17pm PST 
Sorry Pandora, but you wrote in your OP "We have tried the shock collar which worked for a while. Now she will let it shock her until the batteries die."
I stand by my statement you were NOT trained in its use, & it is NOT to be used in a situation like this. If your trainers were using it, I would drop them like hot potatoes!
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 3:39pm PST 
Pandora (love the name, BTW), this is one of the reasons I don't rely solely on walks to tire dogs and suggest my students look into options. Like a marathon runner building duration, all you are doing is conditioning her to go further and longer. Heck, I have pommies and they can walk me into the ground.

Really, try adding some activities that truly involve mind and body. One of my most popular classes is Nosework with students coming back again and again because they tell me it is the only thing that takes down the energy level in their dogs (and if you think a GSD is bad, I have a couple of weims and weim/lab mixes that are insane in classes). Sniffing to find something elevates the body temperature and really DOES take a lot of energy. If you want some tips on getting started, let me know and I can help you out.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 3:40pm PST 
When you say 4 hours of walking, is that just walking?

At 5.5 years old, Chance needs at least 3 hours of cardio-pumping moderate-to-intense activity (never forced) plus some kind of puzzle solving/mental exercise/job or she bounces off the walls.
When she was between 1 & 3 years old, she needed twice that much exercise.

We knew before she turned 1 that she had bilateral hip dysplasia & arthritis in 1 hip so her vet gave us guidelines on types of exercise she could get, what to look for to know if she was overdoing it, etc.
[notify]
Pandora

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 3:50pm PST 
We sprint as much as I can but I;m no runner smile

You know, I have often wished she would use her nose more. I have lost tons of balls because she wont sniff them out in the snow. She never uses her nose. Just the ears and eyes.

Where can I learn more about this nosework?
[notify]
Pandora

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 3:54pm PST 
Squimey - WE, as in me and my trainer, who trained me to use the shock collar especially for this situation. I can tell your not a shock collar supporter but that doesnt mean other people arent. Besides, i only get one or two shocks out of a set of batteries so its not like im frying her all day. PeacE smile
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 3:56pm PST 
I will message you and send you some videos from my classes. Feel free to ask me any questions.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5