GO!

Dogs new to horses . . .. what are the common reactions?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 7 of 19: Viewing entries 61 to 70)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 12:09am PST 
I'm quite partial to the Arabian myself. Very elegant beasts.

The bad press the tb is getting through this whole debacle is very irksome to me too. :/ I go and feed racehorses quite regularly, they are paddocked near the park I walk, and they are lovely, stable horses. My friend had a lovely big gray mare who did dressage and jumping and she was lovely. Retired racers can make great pets or workers, I would hate to see their rescue damaged over this rubbish.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 6:10am PST 
Hopefully, most of the horse world isn't even much aware of this story . .. it'll be a blip compared to pit bull publicity.

I came across this last night --silly and hilarious, but also the level of trust and training you can have with a horse . . If you don't watch the whole thing, skip to 5:25 where he's getting the horse to stretch his hind leg back while upside down . ..

horse extremist

Edited by author Thu Dec 20, '12 6:13am PST

[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 10:42am PST 
I will talk about dogs again in a minute laugh out loud First, Morafic is "my" Arabian. It's him and then everything else. I love the Egyptians. And Khemosabi, who anyone could handle. Lovely animal.

Appaloosas are a huge love for me. But in terms of my apprenticeships for stallion manager, I learned on the Arabians. And a very interesting thing was the very strong similarities between Arabians and Appaloosas (the foundation kind, vs "QH with spots"), and both were tribal breeds, living LOTS closer and amongst people than most. That's what people don't get about Arabians, Gus, is that while they are fiery on appearance, they are total people lovers. Will follow you around like a puppy and have uncommon interest in people, much likes Appaloosas will. And seem to have more sense when it comes to watching over their people, in more of a dog like way.

Now while I must preface this by saying I loathe bull fighting with more expletives than would be permissible....I have a very, very restless soul when it comes to bull fighting, HERE is a most amazing sequence for you to look at, Gus and co. laugh out loud Don't worry - no bulls were harmed in the making of this video, and this stallion's determination to defend his handler is just amazing and dispels a lot of myths some would imagine. And look at how he handles without even a stud chain. Full of prance and it would intimidate many, but I found Arabian stallions....breeding stallions....very easy, if somewhat dramatic laugh out loud, to handle.

I also think for Ms "Twenty Seven years experience" it dispels many myths. As it should with TBs, who are just so kind. Kind and brave. Arabians have the people sense and braveness from the desert history. And TBs from their race breeding. There is no more game horse than a TB. I love them and have an extended long history with them. They are lovely.

Back to dogs, I know in the dog fancy, the best breeders do not excuse bad behavior. It's what I call the "hardcore" POV. I actually use that, that training, when it comes to shelter pulls. I know a lot of dogs who have every excuse to be a bit troubled, but there are plenty of dogs who have been through as much or more and don't. And when it comes to Pit Bulls, some admission amongst the "lick you to death!" crowd that there are some dangerous genetics out there. Pit Bulls CAN be highly prey driven, and when you couple that with gameness other breeds don't have, there is the potential for them to be cujo type neighborhood marauders. Also on a street level, some ARE bred to be sharper. HA is not unheard of. Shyness is not typical for a Pit Bull. I know Duncan, who has LOT more direct shelter experience than I do, is very unnerved by a shy Pit Bull.

Those who defend Pit Bulls can't be daft about these things. They need to be honest and educate as to why these are not Pit Bull typical, and draw attention to real culprits, such as BYBs and the fighters. You can't go around trying to paint victim portraits on dogs who are displaying over the top sensibilities. You need to know where to draw the line and not get lost in your own forest. I feel really bad for this dog due to his owner, but at the end of the day, what he did on the day was way beyond what most dogs would do, and it does make him dangerous. Not if leashed, but with that history, should he get unleashed again....what is our excuse? What do we say to that victim shrug

I am definitely aided by my childhood dog being brought close to death by a Saint Bernard who had killed three dogs already. He WAS leashed, but he was a killing machine and it's hard to hold back a dog of that size. It took four people to beat him off. That's powerful stuff. So I don't excuse. I've been on the other side. Our love of defending dogs can't be so extreme as to go totally screwy.

The foster I have right now is a wonderful boy. Drive-y, but you can train him through it, which I have been working on. Duncan's daughter has a lotta love for that dog laugh out loud He's patient and very loving, total Pit Bull. Includes the drives, but he is a total gentleman and extremely trainable and driven to bond with his handler. A very community safe dog with only a reasonable management protocol, and were he to get in trouble, it would be far easier to bring things under control. I don't mind high drives, but you need to have some bar for what is reasonable and what is not, and be able to stand your ground in the crucial-ness of those discernments.

Edited by author Thu Dec 20, '12 10:50am PST

[notify]

Twister

forever loved

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 1:15pm PST 
Love hearing about the Arabian's spirit, they are amazing! I once got to ride an Arabian, he was very sensitive, and could have been viewed as some to be 'bad'...but was really just a very loving, sensitive horse. I was riding him and he was way beyond what I was used to, I knew he was sensitive and was trying to keep that in mind, but it was still too much for me, he was much more in-tuned to me then what my riding level was...and he stopped on a dime when I was expecting him to turn during a gallop and was thrown over his head (lol). If he was bad, he wouldn't have waited patiently for me to get back up (and it's not like I was holding on to him anymore, haha...maybe he was just laughing at me...) and lead him back to the barn (I wasn't confident enough to get back on). He was still my fav, and was fun to ride on the trails (ie, walking). smile They had a TB, but I don't know where they got him from, and they were having to retrain him, the poor guy got scared quite easily. frown Very beautiful horse though (though he may not have been trained at all previously, I don't know), I would have loved to ride him if it had been possible,he was soo tall!

Oh, and they had dogs there too! Never bothered the horses, and the horses always ignored them. Sad though, one of the families who worked there had a Siberian Husky that started chasing the goats and badly injured a baby one...there was talk about shooting her, but the family really loved her so found her another home eventually, I was really relieved when I heard they re-homed her.

Really what it all comes down to is knowing what we are capable of handling. Whether it is a horse, or a dog, or any other animal...we will be the one responsible for what the animal does. I for one love pit bull types, but have come to the conclusion I probably should not own one, because it is important to me for my dog(s) to be completely reliable around other dogs and small animals. puppykitty I also don't think I could safely handle a strong dog if it turned out to be aggressive in any way (it was hard enough for me trying to handle my brother's 80+lb dog, who while very friendly, pulls on leash). So really, even if your dog has issues that can be seen as 'normal', you need to be able to handle it without putting others in danger...if you can't, something needs to be done.

Okay, my rambling is over for now. It's kinda boring being stuck inside during a snow storm.snoopy

ETA: Jessie is a beautiful horse! That was amazing to watch him run like that to protect his owner.

Edited by author Thu Dec 20, '12 1:22pm PST

[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 4:45pm PST 
tiller, beautifull stallion! my little mare, my soul mate of 25 years was 1/2 arabian. she had 100% solid recall, better then all but my Alice for dogs.she loved to play with my dogs.

the 20 year old part draft gelding rescue I have now doesnt have 1/3 the personality megan did.
having owned 2 horses, and 10 dogs, including a rottie, and a rescue dane, never had one react on the first meeting like this dog did.

I stand by my feeling. this dog should be put down.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 6:12pm PST 
I don't know if you saw earlier, Dilly, that I related boarding my horse in NYC and hacking daily through Central Park....pretty similar setting with loose dogs of all makes and models. Whoever terms this as "normal behavior" is rationalizing.
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 3:03am PST 
yes Tiller I have been following this

I think they are more then rationalizing, I think they have a screw loose
[notify]

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 2:51pm PST 
I was just being polite laugh out loud Utterly fanatical, to the point of sheer stupidity. There's no talking to them, I just wish they'd shut up wink
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 4:07pm PST 
wink
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 4:28pm PST 
lol big laugh
[notify]
  (Page 7 of 19: Viewing entries 61 to 70)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19