GO!

Dogs' behavior regressing

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 9:34am PST 
Hello everyone ... in late August I took in two dogs to my house who had been abandoned. They were running around neighborhood with no ID, collars, etc. I knew the owner who was evicted from his apartment. Apparently, he just let his dogs go. They are lovely dogs, mutts, a male and a female. I named them Maxie and Honey. Dogs were not house trained so they started messing up everywhere. I work for myself out of my house. I must work 7 days weekly, very intently to cover bills. Thus, while dogs are messing up the house, I am busy at computer. Anyway, I tried to teach dogs not to mess up in the house, but no luck. Finally, I figured out the best answer: Leave back door open at all times. (Ok because I live in South Florida and weather is always nice.) Maybe dogs would figure out they could go outside (fenced-in back yard). They did. Problem solved! Unfortunately, and I don't know why, dog poop and pee is showing up again in my house, months after I thought problem was solved, even though door is always open. So either both my new dogs (I have one other dog that was here before and he is house trained) or one of them is messing up again. Don't know how to handle. I thought Maxie might be the culprit and I corrected him, but messing still continues. Maybe it was Honey. Maybe it was both of them. The other problem is that when two dogs came here in August, Honey tore up the leather covering on my expensive leather sofa. She chewed up part of one of the attached sofa pillow seats. I corrected her. Used duct tape to fix area that she ripped apart and covered with blanket. This seemed to solve problem until I can get money to reupholster. But in past 2 weeks, Honey or Maxie (or maybe even Sammy my other dog) is now ripping up the section of sofa chewed before, making it much worse. This occurs daily. Dog or dogs (don't know the guilty party or parties) rip up sofa and spread foam stuffing all over house each day. I fix with more duct tape but next day it is ripped up again. So now, every morning I wake up to pee on LR floor, poop on LR floor and sofa ripped up with section destroyed growing bigger each day. Total regression for dogs. The pee and poop and rip the sofa problems were there in August for a few days, then no problems for months, now, in past 2 weeks both problems back. Have no idea why or how to handle. Don't even know which dogs are culprits. Maybe one, maybe both. I don't think Sammy, my other dog, is doing damage. But who knows. I must work hard and cannot watch every minute to see who is doing all this damage. Even if I learned who, no idea on how to teach dog(s) to do better. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mickey http://www.dogster.com/forums/post.php#
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 9:46am PST 
Why not crate/kennel them while you are working??

What breeds can you guess they are? How much exercise are you giving them every day?

There is no way I'd let dogs rip up or use my house as a bathroom like that day after day.....
[notify]

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 10:32am PST 
I need some guidance from thoughtful people who want to help, I work all day and well into each evening, 7 days weekly. I am not going to lock up my lovely dogs for that extended period.

Edited by moderator Mon Dec 17, '12 2:54pm PST

Edited by forums moderator

Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 10:34am PST 
Trigger has an excellent point. What are you doing to fulfill their needs on a day to day basis, exercise-wise? Do you crate train?
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 10:36am PST 
Crating dogs during working hours isn't cruel. Many many MANY owners do it and their dogs are perfectly happy. It keeps your house intact and keeps the dogs safe. Eating a couch isn't just a nuissance to your pocket book, I'm sure you know it's a danger literally to the life of the dog. As such, you (general you) do what you need to do to keep the dog who is inclined to do such a thing safe.

If they're of particularly smart or active breeds that could be why they're being destructive. So could not getting enough exercise, especially in regards to sporting or working breed dogs. If they are understimulated and underworked they will be destructive. If that's the case the only fix will be to do more with them....walking, running, swimming, agility, training, games around the house etc.

I agreed with you that I wouldn't want you're currently experiencing in my own home. No one could blame you for that.

Edited by moderator Mon Dec 17, '12 2:59pm PST

Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 10:57am PST 
Crating is an idea but i don't think it's necessary. But it sounds like neither dog has been housetrained properly. While they might have come to the conclusion that going outside is preferable, they most likely don't know they should be going outside. I'd be going back to basics and housetrain them as if they were puppies. As you work from home that makes things much easier to deal with. Alternatively you could section a part of your house off and keep all dogs in there when you're working/unable to attend to them. That would help reduce the chances of them toileting in other areas of your house and make training easier for you and them both. Might be an idea to separate them too so you can pinpoint exactly which dog is doing what.

The ripping up the sofa could be related to boredom. How much exercise do they get daily?
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 11:07am PST 
Trigger has a point...many dogs when they are understimulated can develop destructive behaviors.
I would go back to basics. Tethering or crating when you can not supervise and putting them on a potty schedule. Ignore accidents inside & immediately take them out. If you miss the signs they need to go out that is on you, not the dogs.Close your back door for now.
Leaving the back door open does not help them discriminate between outside & inside..they just consider both areas as theirs to use at their disposal.

Edited by moderator Mon Dec 17, '12 2:58pm PST

Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 11:16am PST 
They do not sound house trained...just leaving a door opened does not teach a dog where to eliminate. Treat them like they are puppies and house train from scratch.

Also, try to increase exercise and crate train or confine to a small room when you are away to minimize destructive behavior. You might also try giving them something to do like stuffing a Kong with peanut butter, etc. Regardless, they definitely do not sound ready to have free roam of the house.

Housetraining Article.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 12:54pm PST 
Thanks to all those who offered constructive advice.
[notify]
Bailey

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 1:59pm PST 
In my opinion- if you do not have the time to watch them and therefore train them to display appropriate behaviors- you should rehome them to someone who can. You've been offered advice to crate train which is a very effective tool and not cruel at all. ESPECIALLY since you do work from home and can take a 3 minute break every 3 or so hours to take them outside and let them eliminate themselves, followed by a treat reward (therefore reinforcing that going potty outside is good). If something that simple and quick is too unreasonable for you then you shouldn't have these dogs. Not trying to sound rude or blunt but it really is in the best interest for both you and the dogs.
[notify]