GO!

Any Rat Owners Out There? Advice Pleeeze

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Candy- 4/13/99 - 2/8/09

Beware! dog- can't control- her licker!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 7:59am PST 
I have had rats in the past, they were great pets.
My last Rat, Oreo, was a 40th birthday present to myself. She was much more social than her predecessors, loved going out with us or hanging with my kids. I took her everywhere on my shoulder, like a parrot.

She was much more social, than rats we had before partly because she was alone - her need to be social could only be satisfied with people.
AND - I had her from babyhood. She spent her first weeks at home with me, hanging out in my shirt pocket.

It seems cruel to try and separate the new rat from her only security, her rat buddies. I don't know if you can expect her to change even with training. Worth a try and I'd love to know how it works out.

How about a picture!
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 8:43am PST 
You need to be calm, firm, gentle and... fearless. All of that is much easier if you are not worried about holes in fingers. _I_ would get some supple leather work gloves. It's not armor*, but, with a young rat, it's close. And you still have regular hand function. This will give you 'fearless', so you can be calm, firm and gentle wink

If your rat escapes, you can retrieve with less trauma to both sides...

*Rat teeth can penetrate a light glove; however, it becomes less likely that they will actually hit your skin.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 3:30pm PST 
Candy, my rats who I got from breeders were like that, but the breeders require that you either have another rat for them to liv with or else you have to get two from them. I used to take them to festivals sometimes, riding on my shoulder, and even people who they didn't know could pet and hold them, because they were bred for temperament and also socialized by the breeder from when they were babies.
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 7:05am PST 
I read a short story somewhere recently about a couple who had moved to France. They were kind of sad and homesick, one night they passed an alley and saw a young rat. They brought him/her home and nursed it back to health. It became totally tamed and went on to live to golden rathood.
Originally I got two rats as an unusual get well present for a teen. She fussed so much about litter smell and noise that I put them in the living room and they became my rats. Before then I had no idea how sweet they can be.
Makes me cringe at work though. It's a hardware store that sells traps and poisons. Guess for people that fear them or find wild ones eating through boxes in the kitchen they aren't so cute...but I get chills selling those nasty traps.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 5:28pm PST 
I completely and utterly disagree with feeding live animals to snakes. I own snakes and find it completely cruel to both ends to feed live. And dangerous too. I'll only feed frozen/thawed, and even then, I still feel terrible for the rodents, because I absolutely love all animals.

That said... Even though I own snakes, if it were legal where I live, I would absolutely own pet rats. My cousin in another Province owns rats and has all her life and they're such sweet, tame creatures and sooo smart too! Unfortunately, not only are live rats illegal and banned here(which makes it difficult for reptile owners to get live rats for their snakes!), but there is basically a team of people who will go out, investigate claims of rat sightings, and exterminate them if they're alive. I know for a fact that a rat or two has been spotted on my moms farm and various other farms around in the country, but if the province finds out, they go out and have them killed. It depresses me. frown
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 6:16pm PST 
I never thought rats were banned pets anywhere. Do you live on an island where they are not native? Are they in the wild in your area? Are they banned just because they are rats?

With difficult unfriendly hamsters I found it easier to use a tall cup and scoop them up with it. They normally would walk into it and I would put the palm of my hand over the cup. My one rat was easy to pick up and did not bite.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 6:14pm PST 
Wow, banning rats...if they tried that in Manhattan...even Newark...they'd have to create whole ratty swat teams shock
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 7:43pm PST 
I agree with charlie feeding snakes live mice or rats is dangerous. Sure it's what snakes do, but there is a chance the mouse might bite very hard onto the snake trying to fight for it's life and then the snake is injured and either dies or takes a long time to heal.

My snakes eat frozen thawed mice. I used to feed live didn't like it so I did go frozen.

My friend had rats they were very nice pets one was a bit not friendly with strangers, but her other didn't mind being held and took treats.

I don't like wild rats or mice myself, but pet ones are nice. I'd never own one as I prefer dogs.

Main thing I don't like with wild ones are the ticks, fleas, and lice or whatever they have.. they do cause havoc in winter time for me. One kept putting cat food in my mom's car made it smell horrible till we found where they put it.
[notify]
Eduardo

Mr. Personality

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 8:03am PST 
I have 4 rats; Alphonso (Agouti Blaze Dumbo), Thomas (Fawn Blaze Bareback Dumbo), Cole (Fawn Blaze Hooded Dumbo), and Timothy (Agouti Blaze Dalmatian Dumbo).
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 9:02am PST 
HQ blocked the original post, but I'm guessing from comments you're having trouble handling skiddish rats in their cage? I know for guinea pigs, they suggest using a "cuddle cup" (it's like a mini dog bed for small animals), wait until they climb in or entice with food and pick up the bed. A box with a hole cut in it will work too. That way they come to you instead of having to chase them all around the cage.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2