GO!

Any Rat Owners Out There? Advice Pleeeze

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 7:11pm PST 
You could try getting a small container or small pet carrier, putting treats in it, and when she climbs in, close it and take it out of the cage, let her stay in it while you clean the cage, then when the cage is clean put the container in the cage and open it, when she leaves you can remove the container.

Edited by author Sun Dec 9, '12 7:12pm PST

[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 9:14pm PST 
I have heard that rats do really well with clicker training. Maybe you could train her to run out of the cage and into the carrier.
[notify]
Sky (RIP)

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 11:13pm PST 
A really good rat forum is http://www.goosemoose.com/rfc/index.php. The forum is for other pets too, but the rats rule section is the most active. There are some really rat experienced people that post there and I’ve found them to be really helpful. I’m horrible at explaining things. I could try is you like, but you would get a lot more helpful advice there from people who know far more than I do.
The idea with the carrier could be a good solution for now. It worked very well for my little guy that came to me very fearful until I was able to handle him without being bitten or having him fly out of my hands. The little sucker would run over and chomp my hands if I wasn’t carful.
[notify]

Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 2:16am PST 
After I move out, I'm getting rats, as well.

Rats respond extraordinarily well to clicker training. I like the idea of teaching Lacey how to voluntarily get into the smaller cage.

You could also (slowly) teach her to target hands? A lot of reactive/fearful dogs have really responded well to hand targeting.

I also like the suggestion of asking more experienced rat owners, haha. You can probably find better answers there. XD
[notify]
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 11:17am PST 
Goosemoose is a good forum, I also sometimes post on this one- Rat Forum (Trust Training thread.)

I lean more towards the 'forced' socialization route, along with lots of hand feeding.

A bag of yoggie drops can get you far!

(Okay, sorry, couldn't resist putting that picture in.) laugh out loud
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 11:32am PST 
When I worked at PetSmart, the way I would pick up hamsters and gerbils (never had a problem picking up the rats, they are awesome) that were skittish was by slowing herding it to their little igloo house, and pretty much just scoop it up with it inside, to put in the little carrying box. That's just a quick way, since you actually own it, you can take the time to socialize her. I would try finding a treat she especially loves (ie, my rabbit goes gaga for cranberries), and luring her to go in a small box inside the cage, let her eat the treat, then close the box. That's basically how I trained my rabbit to go to his cage. When I shake the treat bag, he goes straight to his cage because he knows he will get a special treat there. Clicker training is a good idea as well. Good luck!way to go
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 1:10pm PST 
Thank you EVERYBODY!!! Great picture Gizmo, whatta cutie!!! I think the idea of a small carrier with treats might work. I'll take out the other three then put the little carrier in the cage until the treat smell gets her in there. Then I can close the little carrier and problem solved. She's like a freakin' flying squirrel when we've tried to pick her up normally. I would like to try to find quiet time to socialize her, thanks for the goose moose idea too!happy dance
[notify]

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 4:11pm PST 
Funny you mention flying squirrels, I have a skittish sugar glider and that's why I thought of the carrier thing. laugh out loud
I've also owned pet rats but with the less socialized ones I usually just used something to scoop them up in, they weren't scared to the point that they would jump out.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 6:17pm PST 
Yeah it's funny the different personalities. Cupcake is a big white furry tennis ball...fat doesn't do her justice, but she's so mellow. She'll walk right up to your hand and step on. You can hold her in your lap and pet her like a cat. Ginger and Chocolate are ginger and black n' white. Same thing, you can pick them up and they'll cuddle, cute licking.

We got Lacey from a pet store that mostly sells rodents as feeders for reptiles,friendliness isn't something they probably cared about.shock
[notify]

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 6:36pm PST 
My first rats were from breeders and were very friendly but Ive also had three rats that were rescues and were varying amount of skittish. One was more friendly just a little shy, another one would let you pet her but not pick her up easily (she would let you if you persisted) , and one was more scared and also less social with the other two.
I've also had hamsters some of which were not well socialized but with hamsters usually unless they were really wild/mean, I could get ahold of them carefully if i was quick, they are not so fast, and once I had them they would be calmer.

Edited by author Mon Dec 10, '12 6:37pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2