GO!

getting a second dog.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 4 of 6: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 10:51pm PST 
I wouldn't worry too much about the dogs not getting along. My Sibes have all been super sociable. I WOULD worry about the new one eating things pups shouldn't overnight. A crate is mandatory, IMO. The crate can go by your bed if you like. It will also help prevent puppy puddles in the house while you're away until the new miss is completely housetrained.

My 'new' dog comes in and goes straight to the bathtub. By the time we are finished in there, the 'old' one is super curious and ready to greet the new one. I've never had a problem, even with a wolfdog and a coyote dog together. I always have two females and that's not an issue, either.

I feed the dogs together with me inbetween for the first few meals. I greet the 'old' dog first, etc. Lily and Moira each have their own bed, but share toys.

Have fun. Two have such a good time together.
[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 4:35am PST 
Dogs are REALLY quick about understanding when the click is for them.

But, yes, initially, you'll want to train everything separate - and that includes training with distractions. And then when you feel like both dogs really understand, you can start bringing them together and working with them together.

Personally, I don't use the clicker when I have both dogs. I usually say, "Poppy, yes!" or "Lobo, yes!" But I do remember reading somewhere that someone did use a clicker with multiple dogs. That's why I said dogs do understand when the click (or marker word) is for them.

I've also read that if you're with two dogs, withholding the click until both dogs are performing the action could work. But I think that that would only work if both dogs are already mostly trained and understand what's being asked.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 6:42am PST 
While I can't comment on clickers or crates-Sophie is petrified of clickers and with crates...we've had dogs and cats happily coexist for decades without the need for a crate-only in the case of our border collie it might have been a good idea, she was very destructive.
But with treats, treats can be a super bonding experience with certain dogs. Some people have problems with the dogs fighting over goodies. But Callie and Sophie will sit very patiently side by side while I feed them a snack.
You also learn each dogs preferences.
Sophie loves rawhide bones and Callie prefers his stuffing toy with frozen peanut butter. I'll give him his toy and her a rawhide and they lay together with their individual treats. She doesn't like peanut butter and he's kind of "Meh" towards rawhide so it works for them.
[notify]

Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 6:43am PST 
Lobo is right..dogs learn when the click is for them. I trained Squam & Wiley was his mentor/model. It didn't take very long for pup to learn that Wiley sits..gets click/treat. He often looked for Wiley's response, then offered his. Once he caught on, I would mix things up so it would not simply be monkey see, monkey do. So Wiley gets a *sit, Squ'mey gets a *down.
I still train them together, but they know that the dog who's name is said is the dog who will be C/T'd.
A couple of days ago I taught Squam to "play the piano." Wiley is not physically capable, but wanted in on the treats. So I alternated between having him sit, down, spin, target..& then it would be Squam's turn. I also follow Eisenmann's educating method, so in under 5 minutes, Squam was playing piano & Wiley got a refresher in basics.
ETA...Congrats on the new puppyblue dog

Edited by author Wed Dec 12, '12 6:44am PST

[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 12:08pm PST 
I hope my Sibes get along well like yours do, I think they will Lili smile
Lobo and Squ'mey I think your right, I will do the clicker apart at first so not to confuse them but will eventually try in the same room, I'm sure the pup will have no clue about the clicker it's just that it worked so well for Mika.
Opheila, I hope they are able to eat treats together and whatnot but i dont know because Mika tends to get upset with the cats when they come near her stuff but who knows. And the pup will have to be without a crate for a while at least anyways so we will see how that goes also, just because i dont have a crate right now but I need to get one, Hopefully it goes o.k without. But I did plan on getting one.
dog walk
[notify]
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 8:28pm PST 
I am glad you decided to rescue a new dog. I know that you seem decided on getting another female but in my own opinion feel a male would be a better match down the road. I am not saying that two females cannot get along, but there will be issues down the road when the new female gets to be older. It certainly will depend on who is going to be dominate over the other. Females certainly can be real bitches to each other and males seem to settle matters a little less aggressiveness towards each other. That has been my experiences (although with GSD's) with the dogs that I have owned.

Certainly do some research on how two female huskies will get along and what issues you may encounter. I am sure if you are a strong pack leader it will be easier for you.

Best of luck whatever you decide. It is so exciting getting a new addition to the family, especially before Christmas. http://www.dogster.com/forums/post.php# Have you decided on any names yet?????
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 8:49pm PST 
I have been reading a ton about it online since I decided. I just couldn't help it when I saw her little face. She is the smallest of her and her sisters that were brought in, and just looks so innocent. I try my best to be a strong pack leader...although I do give in sometimes with Mika and let her lead the way on occasion but I know not to do that with the pup....Mika is very well trained even before I got her and more so with all the work (and play hehehe) that i have done with her...but a pup will need to learn these things, I am confident it will work out, but still nervous a bit.....as for names I like *Lexus, Laika, Luna, Nikita or Vixen. Which one is your fav out of those, I am having a hard time deciding, but I suppose she will have to be here in front of me so I know what suits her.
[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 1:27pm PST 
I would not worry about dominance and leadership right now. Dominance is defined as a control of resources, so if you really want to look at it that way, humans are already dominant over dogs(we control their food, their water, where they sleep, where they eat, when they eat, when they get exercise, etc.).
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 2:51pm PST 
hmmmm thinking very well put Lobo you pretty puppy you!! applause
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 7:27pm PST 
Getting excited.......It's almost Saturday happy dance pick up my puppy day!!! eek
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 6: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6