GO!

"Helpful" advice from strangers

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 12:22pm PST 
Most people tell me that she must have been abused. I have no idea if she was or not, I don't know much about her history. I agree with you, shy dogs do need time.

I did speak to a trainer that the rescue recommended when we first adopted Lily. She was terrified and was going after Scruffy. The trainer told me that she was dominant and that she wanted to own me and that things would get worse and she would keep attacking Scruffy. Needless to say we didn't speak to that trainer again. I worked with Lily and once she settled into our home more she and Scruffy became pals.

Edited by author Wed Nov 28, '12 12:35pm PST

[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 1:20pm PST 
I guess having a snarling, lunging 95 pound dog being controlled by a 102 pound woman makes folks not want to get close enough to offer *helpful advice ...or editorial commentslaugh out loudlaugh out loudfrown Which is good, since I would sooo not be receptive to it at that time.wink
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 4:28pm PST 
Hahaha... Ohhh. I've had my share of unsolicited, and 'helpful' advice.

There was the time a guy came up, and did the 'hand bite jab' that is infamous of Cesar Millan's The Dog Whisperer training, when he noticed Charlie pulling on my walk, and said my dog was trying to 'dominate' me by pulling and being 'leader'! Luckily, Charlie brushed it off and kept walking, while the guy got an earful from me about touching MY dog.

I also had another person say my Rottweiler was dangerous, and how dare I had a dominant, aggressive dog. This was AFTER Maya trusted people again and was a wiggle-bum with new people.

I also had a friend tell me that Charlie was trying to dominate me. I was sitting on the floor cross-legged, while massaging Charlie because it relaxes him, and he leaned into me and stepped over my lap for more of the massage. Suddenly, he was dominant! laugh out loud

Best advice I've gotten was definitely on Dogster. Actually, when I first got Charlie, I joined Dogster, and the positive reinforcement that I learned about after, was what lead to him now being the amazing dog he is, and as well-mannered and trained he is.

Dogster is the reason that I managed to work through many of Maya's issues and the issues of some of my fosters. way to go
[notify]

Lily

Woof!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 8:50pm PST 
I guess so Squ'mey!! laugh out loudlaugh out loud

I still haven't figured out how Lily being anxious means she wants attention. When she is anxious she goes to her safe spot and hides and we just let her chill out there.

Edited by author Wed Nov 28, '12 8:53pm PST

[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 1:48pm PST 
Similar to Missy, the unsolicited advice I received was when I first got Mikey. When his DA surfaced I had friends who wanted me to bring Mikey to the beach with them and their dogs. Each and everyone of them said, "don't worry about it, they'll work it out". They spent a few minutes each time they wanted us to join them trying to convince me to "let them work it out".
Luckily I never took their advice.

Moose got the Cesar Milan poking in the ribs done to him when he was about 4 months old. Total stranger. Moose was being a normal puppy laying on the ground wiggling around like a worm. Guy thought he was being.......dominant? I don't even know. He did it twice and I'm not even sure Moose felt it. Never phased him.
I didn't say anything because he was a friend of my neighbor who I'm good friends with, so I let it go.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 6:07pm PST 
Got some similar unhelpful advice today from another regular dog walker. Because Missy has improved with the barking and lunging at other dogs, other people don't always assume she doesn't like other dogs. Like today for example, we bump into a walker with her dog. Because her dog was on lead and under control Missy wasn't to bothered, she was wagging her tail, looked totally relaxed and happy so of course this other owner was like "she looks friendly, like she wants to say hello", then bends down pets her and starts "asking" her whether she wants to greet her dog! Then when i continue to tell her that she won't like her dog getting in her face, she goes on to talk about how a reactive dog she's walked with has now changed after she muzzled him and allowed him to approach other dogs with no fear as to what he'd do. Had i tried the same she asks. Some people just don't get it.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 7:43pm PST 
Squam! big laughbig laugh

Strangely I don't think I've gotten much either . . . .probably cause my dog is so perfect! laugh out loudcloud 9

Or maybe it's my Jedi mind tricks . .. . . if somebody's gushing like 20 times a walk, "Aw, you're such a good dog!" to their dog, eventually it sinks in . . .huh, ya know, that IS such a good dog! laugh out loud
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 8:06pm PST 
This isn't really advice, but family members telling me I shouldn't bring Nick here or there because of his issues kind of annoys me. Yes, still has a ways to go, but at the same time he has come a long way too. If I don't have confidence in him, we're never going to get anywhere.

One time at PetSmart, Nick was in the cart and this lady comes in real close and he barks at her. I told him to leave it and sit. He did, so I rewarded him. She then tries to tell me I'm just rewarding aggressive behavior.

Best advice isn't really advice either. I was at a doggy get together and a lady there commented on how calm and well behaved Nick was. It meant a lot to me because we've worked very hard to get to that point. The advice hidden in that comment I suppose is keep doing what you're doing cuz you're on the right track!
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 8:43pm PST 
We can't all be as perfect as Augusta!! laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud Maybe I need to brush up my Jedi mind trick skills. meditate

I also get a lot of people who tell Lily that they aren't going to hurt her, which scares her because she is still iffy with people speaking to her/trying to pet her. I always think, this isn't a Disney movie the dog isn't going to be your best friend because you told her you aren't going to hurt her and made kissy noises at her.

I've gotten comments from my MIL about how Lily is seems lot calmer and happier now, and that she looks really good. So I guess I must be doing something right. hamster dance

Edited by author Thu Nov 29, '12 8:48pm PST

[notify]
Rory

The Centurion

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 9:44pm PST 
I've been told by a stranger how to deal with Rory being reactive towards other dogs... He said I should have him near the dog, barking and lunging, and then walk away and treat him she he is calm. Soon he will learn to be calm around the dog...? I just nodded my head while really thinking its an awful idea. Once Rory is wound up, he won't just calm down when we walk away from the dog....

My parents tell me what to do wih him all the time, not exactly advice. They say I should jut let Rory meet our dogs, even though Rory puts his hackles up when he sees them, growls, and stares intensely.... He snapped at Shiloh's face twice the first time we tried to introduce him to her... They say the dogs will work it out, but I know that wouldnt happen.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3