GO!

Saying 'No'

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 5 of 11: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 6:49am PST 
Thanks for that, Asher! I think I am DEFINITELY going to use that.

Sometimes on walks, I get so exasperated with Lobo. He's not even bad or anything, but after a long day, sometimes his... unfocused-ness(?) rides my nerves and I say his name in that quietly irritated sigh type way. So, yeah, I think I will most definitely play that game with Lobes!

(Hey, maybe my grandparents will actually play this one! My papa calls him Biggun - Poppy is Little 'un - and Loboski.)
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 7:25am PST 
No problem Lobo. This game is probably one of the reasons I don't need to say "no" or "eh-eh" or anything like that. I just ask for what I want.

Have fun with it. I have yet to meet a dog who does not love this game.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 8:35am PST 
I use "no" quite a bit. But I use it in context, as I would with anyone. "No, we are not playing now" "No, it is not dinner time." It's just a word. It's not going to damage their psyche, just as it doesn't hurt kids when you say no to them.
I don't have a standard interrupter...whatever pops out of my mouth works. Sometimes it's a polite "try again", sometimes it's profane..."what the f%$# do you think you're doing?"laugh out loud
Their names are a cue to look at me in case a command is to follow, or an endearment, or an admonishment...sometimes both! "Squ'mey! Leave my croc!. Wiley! What a good boy! Two-Dogs...settle down"
I think we get so hung up on science that we lose the art of training sometimes.smile
Most dogs are a lot smarter than some folks give them credit for.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 9:26am PST 
course we use 'no' - we're normal dog owners! laugh out loud

i would say 'no' has about the same application as a knock-it off growl from a dam to her pups. normal communication.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 10:20am PST 
Asher, I am going to try that game with Farley. Maybe it will help us in agility during that split second right before his brain shuts off and he takes off chasing another dog instead of doing the weave poles laugh out loud
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 10:22am PST 
Farley, hope it helps!!! let me know. Remember, at least 5000 reps in a variety of locations and distraction levels.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 10:39am PST 
lol if you buy one of those counter/clicker things they use at arenas or sheep herding you can have a 2-in-1 and you'll actually know when you reach 5000!

Edited by author Wed Nov 28, '12 10:40am PST

[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 3:58pm PST 
Gosh, I think if the ordinary dog owner heard that you should classically condition a dog to its name with 5000 repetitions in order to teach the dog its name, she/he would pass out!shock I sure miss my old dog Holmes -- 2 reps with duration and distraction increased simultaneously and no problem. Learned a 20 minute down-stay right after a 5 minute down stay. Now some of these guys I have now certainly require more reps than that, and I find it downright frustrating. Guess that's why I stick to the more biddable breeds. 5000 reps is cat territory to me! laugh out loud

Ah, to each her own.....
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 7:25pm PST 
JT was responding to 'Jackson!' and ignoring 'Chester!' after one off leash play together ... second day I had him. Don't know how many times I said it but I didn't use food and I definitely didn't say it 5000 times. laugh out loud

He knows his name so good a guy overheard me telling my husband's friends his name in the street, and called him across and he actually went to run to him, lol. Even the guy commented, 'there's a dog who knows his name!'
[notify]
G2

Be Scaredy of- Me, Dawg!

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 5:55am PST 
"Gosh, I think if the ordinary dog owner heard that you should classically condition a dog to its name with 5000 repetitions in order to teach the dog its name, she/he would pass out!"

I think ANY dog owner that has to CC their dog to its name with 500, much less 5000 repetitions has a dog that is not Canine Einstein. laugh out loud

Squam, sounds like you 'converse' with your dogs a la Eisenmann....my "interrupters' are very similar to yours.

"I think we get so hung up on science that we lose the art of training sometimes. Most dogs are a lot smarter than some folks give them credit for."

Exactly.

Edited by author Thu Nov 29, '12 6:00am PST

[notify]
  (Page 5 of 11: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11