GO!

Door Dashing This is getting dangerous(almost got hit by the Garbage truck)

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 5:13pm PST 
We have a problem and it just started a couple of months ago, Mozart loves to door dash no matter what I try to do anytime a door is open he runs out. He knows his commands but for some reason does not obey them with any doors that are open, I think he thinks it is some great game and then when he runs out and I try to grab him he goes crazy playing running in circles like catch me if you can. I need advice on what to do this is getting way to dangerous and I am afarid my boy is going to get hit by a car he ran out the other day and the huge garbage truck was coming as he was running around like crazy luckily I grabbed him just by some of his hair before the truck got too close.

We just recently moved to a new house and in a new state and our house is right next to a busy road and there is alot of traffic and people drive very fast.

He knows basic commands and a bunch of tricks like 26 tricks and I am always teaching him new things so I think he is getting enough mental stimulation. I Play fetch and tug with him multiple times a day so I don't think he is lacking in playing. The only thing I have been not doing alot of is walking him since we just moved in a week ago, he is used to walking alot I did in our old neighborhood. Could this be from lack of exercise? We know have a fenced in yard and both dogs go out there alot and run and play and I will do training out there too so he is getting plenty of off leash time in a safe enclosed area. It seems to be worse here then it was in our old house and I am wondering if maybe he is stressed from the move and being someplace new and maybe he feels like he is not getting enough attention because I am pretty busy since we moved.

I need help and advice please
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 5:21pm PST 
I just practiced with mine with "stay" and "wait". I think they got tired of losing the battle, so now they just listen. I think if they think they can get away with it, they will keep trying. I would keep a leash on him and set him up by giving him the opportunity to run out the door. Only you have the end of his leash, so he can't. You have to make him think he's always attached to you. I would also practice your recall with a treat he would die for. Only use that treat for recall and stay. Good Luck!
[notify]
Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 5:49pm PST 
Thanks for the advice Kali he knows stay pretty well in the backyard I can ask him to sit and stay walk 30 ft away and then I will release him and he listens in the yard with mild distractions but I normally have to use very high reward treats(real meat) or his faviorte ball if I don't have anything to reward him with he will not listen at alleek You are right about letting him get away with it and I agree 100% about the leash I am going to be having that on him at all times now even if I have to a have a 20 ft leash on him.
We do practice recall all the time inside and out and I normally use a whistle since he seems to respond better to it and I give him steak or chicken or tuna or turkey for recall and he normally does listen as long as he gets his tasty treat. Also before we lived in the country around no traffic and he would run out but he would stay pretty close me cause I did not make a big deal about and was calm. Something about him he knows that I get stressed out and almost have a heart attack when he runs out because we now live right next to a busy road.
[notify]

Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 5:53pm PST 
Good Luck with him!
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 5:55pm PST 
You need to practice this as a wait, or go to your place command under controlled circumstances. It would help if you have someone be the door opener. Give him a yummy reward for sitting and waiting when someone knocks on the door or rings the bell. Start with him a good distance away from the door with you just shovelling little treats in his mouth for staying with you.

Then work your way up to letting your door opener just start to open the door. If he gets up, they shut the door and he gets no treat, you put him back where you started and try again. When he gets the idea that when the door moves he gets a reward for staying in place, then you can up to having your helper open the door a little further.

Don't rush any stages--very gradually work up to where you can open the door more and more til it's all the way open and the person can come in without him breaking his sit/stay.

You can use this technique to teach "go to place", somewhere like another room, a mat or crate away from the door whenever someone's at the door or going to go out the door.

In the meantime, I would try to find a way to block access to being able to dash out the door--maybe an x-pen or baby gates--so he can't get out unexpectedly.

I was successful getting my brother's Yorkie to stop rushing out the door when I visited them, just by rewarding him heavily for a sit away from the door. They worked on it a little bit once they saw what to do and they tell me he doesn't run out the door anymore. way to go
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 6:56am PST 
Gus's suggestions are right on. I would build it. If you don't have another person to help, try tethering while you build the stay.
[notify]
Kado

Couch Potato

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 12:39pm PST 
For safety, always leash at the door. Try working a sit-stay and rewarding for calm behavior quite a way behind the door. This calming down may take quite a bit of time. thinking Good luck, I know how dangerous this can be, had a door bolter myself.
[notify]