GO!

Mouthing and Jumping

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Abby

Energizer Bunny

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 10:51am PST 
My Abby is a 1 year old Treeing Walker Coonhound/Beagle (with perhaps a bit of Greyhound thrown in) mix. She jumps up on us a lot, especially when she's in a really playful mood or when we first come home from being out somewhere (though she'll also try to jump up to the table while we're eating sometimes, but she'll usually stop that after a while... and she'll jump up to the counters to, er, investigate for food). I realize this behavior is typical of TWC's, but even at only 36lbs or so, she's pretty strong and can almost knock us over, lol. I try to ignore her - I'll stand still, look away and cross my arms and she'll stop, but then she'll start barking at me.

As for the mouthing, she doesn't do it *all* the time, again only when she's in a really playful mood. But it hurts sometimes. She did it more often when she was younger so I figured it was just a very young puppy thing. But isn't she a little too old to keep doing that at 1 yr old? We tell her firmly "No" or we'll shake a can with coins in it that usually startles her and makes her stop, but if she's still in that playful mood she'll go right back to it. I have quite a few toys for her and sometimes she'll bring one to me to play with her. I don't know if she's getting bored with them, though, and I need something else to keep that coonhound brain happy. Any ideas?

I'm considering looking for a trainer. Any tips in the meantime? Thanks. She really is a sweet dog - just tired of the mouthing and jumping when she's in that mood.

Edited by author Thu Nov 15, '12 10:57am PST

[notify]