GO!

5 month pitbull bothers 3 and 5 year old shihtzus

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Capone

Related to- notorious- gangster Al- Capone

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 4:08pm PST 
He always bothers them. They are both females. He isnt mean with them bit he always runs up to them and trys to play. Sometimes hell stand by them and they get scared and snap at him, then he backs off and just barks at them. I want them to get along! If there all laying in bed there fine, but if one gets up to go drink or eat hell get up and go bother them! How should I teach him to calm down? I hate having to always keep them apart.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 4:53pm PST 
I hope somebody can give you training suggestions because I don't know how you teach a 5 month old terrier to chill. We're lucky with Sophie because she actually plays with small dogs very gently. But even the happiest bullies are known for playing like football players...
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 6:44pm PST 
Lovely pup smile

You are at a difficult age right now, where puppies will typically press each other a bit and see how can out muscle who. Nothing bad, nothing aggressive, there is just a lot of shouldering, herding, intruding and so on. It's just a part of growing up.

It is something you need to get a handle on NOW, however, and also don't want the Tzus to have a bad association, or worse, for him to start to get his jollies bullying them.

You probably should long line him. You could just go to the store and get one of those very long (20-30 foot) training leads if you want, as it is useful for training anyway. Just clip it on and let him drag it. You are doing this as, being long, it is very easy to simply step on (or pick up) when he is getting too rough, being too intrusive or so on from a distance away. Say "that's enough!" and then redirect him to you, have him do a couple of commands (assuming he might now sit by now?) for a treat. Just break that cycle. Longlines and puppies are a great partnership wink They are very spazzy brained and can quickly move from one thought to the next, so if you simply stop them from completing the action and then redirect them positively....so that they have something to do when they are stopped....it's very helpful.

Secondly....and I really don't know how you are raising your pup or manage the Tzus, so I am just free forming for you here (feel free to advise what is viable and not), let them have treat time together. He is to sit and he is to go last. That's not an alpha thing laugh out loud, but rather that he has to be patient and let something go on with the others first and hold his place. Then he gets his treat.

Thirdly, if you don't live alone, try to have someone else interact with the Tzus....play with them, love on them with an exited voice, have them follow them and so on...while you treat your pup, work on focus building while they are buzzing about.

PB puppies are typically quite precocious and learn pretty rock solid obedience early. The more you train the more interplay you will have, so I am not sure how advanced you are in working with him, but he's exploring his world right now, so it is definitely time to start.

His energy is really going to amp around nine months old or so. Getting a mat and teaching a "go to place" command has proven exceptionally useful with this breed when they get too rambunctious.

He was weaned a little early, likely was not corrected by his littermates enough, so he has less boundaries. Be patient, guide him, and interrupt his actions so that upset doesn't brew between him and the Tzus.

Hope that helps! Any q's, please feel free to ask!
[notify]