GO!

Prepairing for Baby

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Bailey - BN, RN, CGC

Are you sure I- wwant to sleep

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 1:37pm PST 
Hi can anyone give me suggestions on getting dogs ready for a baby I found out im pregnant this week and want to devote the neccessary time to get Bailey and Opal ready for there sibling

Honestly what scares me about bailey is she is 11 and I have spoiled her since I caught her as a stray 7 years ago current but managable problems peeing on others stuff destroying papers, books nothing else, and I have never had her around kids because she is scared of loud nosises and fast movment believe she was absued. Re homing her at this point is not an option for me

Opal is 7 year old shar pei im not worried about as much shes a therapy dog and spent plenty of time with nieces and nephews just gotta work on not taking food
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 2:06pm PST 
congrats party

IMHO... since you are a therapy dog team... you know the drill wink You treat your non-TD pup the same way. Control the interactions. Observe reactions closely and adjust. Before baby arrives, you can introduce both dogs to the equipment... you can play baby sounds CDs. Reward for calm curiosity. When baby arrives... work it just as if you were dealing with TD visits (except you can treat whenever you'd like).

And relax... be alert, be prepared... it will be part of your grand adventure way to go

ETA Bailey looks just like the pup, Nestle, we had before Charks.

Edited by author Wed Nov 7, '12 2:12pm PST

[notify]
Droopy CD,- RA, HH, TDI,- CGC

I didn't do it

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 11:26am PST 
hamster danceblue dogCongratulations!way to godancing

My little girl is almost two now, so we have recently gone through the baby preparation with the dogs. We put up a lot of gates throughout the house, so we could separate the baby from the dogs when needed. We put up the crib, swing, and all the endless paraphernalia out early, so the dogs could get used to it. We played baby crying cd's and made sure the dogs had really good down stays. We practiced spending some time in the house where the dogs couldn't be with us. We would watch tv for awhile in the living room with the dogs gated out of it. Of course we made sure they also got plenty of time with us and walks. I also had to start transitioning Droopy from being a performance dog trialing in open and training in utility to being a pet. He had the hardest time with reducing his work load. As my pregnancy progressed, I just didn't have the energy to train, and when the baby came, I didn't have the energy or time. We put up a doggie door, which was a life saver. We also put up a smaller potty area fence outside, so the dogs were double fenced in the back yard. My guys were not big door dashers, but as hounds if they got outside, they were going hunting. We put up a gate near our front door to allow us to get in and out of the house with all of the stroller and endless assortment of gear needed for the little one without worrying about the dogs getting out the front door. We also got in the habit of crating the dogs whenever food was out. Droopy gets a little carried away about food, so we have just managed it through prevention.

Before I came home from the hospital, my husband brought home a blanket from the baby and a dirty diaper. Let them acclimate to some of the smells.

We would also do random weird things to the dogs and then click and treat them. I would pull and ear and treat or randomly pull a tail and treat. Even watching a small child like a hawk, they are fast. As my little girl has grown, I have continued to highly reward the dogs anytime she falls on them or grabs them. Droopy has become obnoxious about it. He follows her around trying to get her to do something to him, so he will get a treat. They run around the house together. He howls and she giggles. We still have all of our gates up so the pups have plenty of interaction time with her, but they also have plenty of quiet time away from her.

Good Luck!
[notify]

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 2:50am PST 
Great question!! When I was pregnant with my first child, Sara I used a book called Tell Your Dog You're Pregnant: An essential guide for dog owners who are expecting a baby. It was really helpful and came with a CD of sounds. Max (my fur child!) took some time to get used to the sounds but the book helped on how to do it. Maybe that will help someone else!
[notify]
Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 6:26am PST 
I was going to say about setting things up early and bringing home a blanket for the baby's scent too but everyone else beat me to it. Another thing you can do is a month or two before baby arrives, carry around a baby doll and treat it like a real baby so they can get accustomed to some of the things your going to be doing. Dreamy and Rocky were both around when each of our children were born and they couldn't have been more patient and calm with them smile good luck and congrats smile
[notify]