GO!

How do you train your dog?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 33)  
1  2  3  4  
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 1:46pm PST 
I sure as hell hope my strong working bred dog won't be quick to take a chunk out of me if i screw up! confused
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 7:19pm PST 
I feel guilty with Callie but I have cuffed his nose lightly from time to time and it worked. I'm not talking about disobeying simple commands. I mean forty pounds of teeth propelled at your leg in play. It's the absolute last resort and only for nipping. I guess it must have been the way his first owners trained him, he stops whatever he's doing and drops his head.
Sophie just has her name said a certain way and she freezes, she is terrified of clickers.
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 4:22pm PST 
I train by focusing on the good I want to reward and ignoring/managing/training alternative behaviors for the "bad" stuff. I use the clicker and food for initial training (just for ease of use and because it's quicker for the dog to "get it") and then I fade in real-life rewards and other fun stuff. I also use environmental rewards from the get-go where applicable.

I also spend a lot of time figuring my dog out and learning what makes them tick. It's much easier that way. For example, Risa is afraid of dogs and is reactive to them. I can reward calm behavior with food OR I can reward her with increased distance from the dog since that's what she ultimately wants. I also pay close attention to how she behaves around things that scare her and encourage curious behaviors when they're offered.

I use corrections very, very rarely. And it's usually only because I screwed up and failed to prevent my dog from doing something I didn't want. Most of the time, I cue an alternative behavior instead rather than issuing a verbal "eh eh!" But, I'm human, and it slips out on occasion.

Even without corrections, Ris is very reliable in stressful situations. There have been several occasions when her leash has come unclasped after she's heard a loud noise. The only thing that was keeping her from bolting in fear was the leash. . .until it started dragging on the ground. Recalls are not Ris' forte and I should work on them more but, despite that, she came back immediately when I called her to me. Despite the stress and fear in that situation, she remained under control and complied. I was very impressed. smile

Edited by author Sat Nov 10, '12 4:23pm PST

[notify]

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 33)  
1  2  3  4