GO!

Rough play-should I be concerned?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  
Graham

Part angel, part- devil, all dog

Barked: Sat Nov 3, '12 6:01pm PST 
Thanks everyone for your reassurance. It's strange to see them go from calm, loving friends to WWE and back again in the space of a few minutes. They do seem to be having fun so I guess it's all good. I'm glad to hear that it's normal and I can see what you mean about improving Graham's behavior with other dogs. When he first got here, he was uncomfortable with bigger dogs. We had him out and about yesterday and he was a champ with the Standard Poodle and Irish Setter we ran into. Thanks again all.
[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Sat Nov 3, '12 6:30pm PST 
It took a while for me to be okay with Lobo and Poppy playing. But they're both really great dogs who give clear signals and are surprisingly respectful of one another.

Poppy usually instigates the play, and Lobo is sometimes hesitant at first, but then he'll play. Poppy, I think, sometimes mistakes Lobo's growls for more-than-play, because he has rolled over, but the second Lobo does a full body turn, Poppy's up and at it again.

The size difference is frightening, but Lobo doesn't use his teeth (mouth, yes, but he has astounding bite inhibition) so it's mostly just scary to look at or think about. Neither of them are all that vocal, either.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2