GO!

Modifying a Trainers Methods?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 6:07pm PST 
It is just that if someone needs to rely on avoidance based training for at all, they are not as skilled as I want my trainer to be. There is nothing Ali would do that I would not do and vice versa. The method she favors may not be the method I favor, but her methods fall in line with my methodology 100%. Same thing with so many other trainers out there. Maybe we do things slightly differently, but that does not mean they do anything I would not do.

Plus, I don't want my dogs in a learning environment where avoidance based training is being used.

Loose leash walking IS a fairly easy behavior to teach. And there are plenty of nonaversive management tools that can be used while the dog learns.
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Sat Nov 3, '12 3:43pm PST 
If I see someone walking their dog on a training collar of any sort, I don't assume their dog is trained. How does the dog walk without the collar on? That is the test of what the dog really knows.

I used to use a prong on Risa. She walked nicely alongside me and rarely pulled. As soon as I put her on a flat collar, she was instantly back to pulling again. The collar does not train the dog. Most training collars and harnesses are for management while you train the dog the proper behavior. They help you inhibit the behavior you don't want and give you a chance to train the behavior you do want. If the dog won't walk nicely without the training collar on, it's not trained.

I still walk Risa on a Sens-ible harness which is a no-pull harness. That is simply my preference. She walks exactly the same on that harness as she does on a flat collar.

From my own personal experience with a fearful dog, I wouldn't use a prong on one ever.

Edited by author Sat Nov 3, '12 3:45pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2