GO!

Let's Share... What are some of your dogs best quirks?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 1:50pm PST 
That's right, all those little quirky things that make up their personality - whether it's good, bad, ugly, hilarious, weird, anything you find unique about your dog!

Charlie
- If Charlie's upset with you(such as while trimming his nails), he'll lick you, because as much as he wants to nip at you, he simply does't like things in his mouth(and admittedly has fantastic bite inhibition), including human, and will simply lick and lick and lick until you back the heck off!
- Charlie has also claimed anything and everything that has been given to me by my grandmother, furniture in particular. Anyone tries to steal his chair, and they get the stink eye.
- He will sit pretty if he wants something, whether it's attention, food, treats, outside, etc. You just know he wants SOMETHING and you must give it to him.
- When he learned that the puppy eyes didn't work, he converted to sitting pretty, and if that doesn't work, he'll start shivering as hard as he can(on purpose), until you feel sorry for him and give in.
- Pees on blankets, beds, couches, etc when in a very deep sleep - but never on the floor.
- Doesn't like intimidating breeds such as Pit Bull types and Mastiffs, and will go absolutely NUTS trying to go after one to prove his point. He looks aggressive, and only behaves this way in confined spaces with them, or on a leash. Is totally fine with them at dog parks!

Ria
- If you're upset, she's very very sensitive and will tuck tail, press her ears back and run and hide under my kitchen table. If you walk with a purpose, and move quickly, she hides too.
- Loves to play Catch-Me-If-You-Can and can no longer be off leash until we nip that in the bud.
- Liked to sleep in my kitchen cupboards with my pots, pans and plastics. I had to put baby safety locks on all my bottom cupboards.
- If you're trying to teach her a new trick or command, she'll stare at you, then try doing other things to get the reward, such as digging at your hands or body(hurts!), sitting and waiting you out, etc.
- She gets zoomies if she makes a new friend, whether that's human or animal.
- Is finding her voice and barks at everything, especially when she's in the car, except other dogs. Human walking by? Woof! Bicycle? WOOF. Other dog? Doesn't bark.
- Thinks she's part Cat, and will rub her body all over you in the manner of a feline.
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 2:06pm PST 
laugh out loud Oz does the same shivering thing when he wants something laugh out loud

Rigby
- She will act all cute and loving to get close to you. The she will lick your face, once she gets close enough, she will bite either your nose or glasses (or both)
- Every morning she acts all bouncy and awake. As soon as I leave my bed, she jumps on and goes back to sleep
- If Coby is ignoring her and he's standing up she will fit his entire head in her mouth
- If Coby is laying down and ignoring her, she will back up over top of his head and sit on top of him
- When she's really happy about something she makes a sound similar to a seal
- She will throw toys around the room when no one else will play with her
- She NEVER jumped on people until I foolishly taught her to jump into my arms naughty

Cobain
- He "smiles" when he's REALLY happy (typically when I wake up in the morning and that's it). The tips of his 2 fang teeth poke out when he does this.
- He slaps me when he is bored or wants to wake up
- He sings at 5pm every day to let me know he's hungry (aroooo rooo rooo)
- When he wants to leave a place, he will bring me my keys
- He steals toys from Rigby when she's trying to play fetch, he wont run for them, but he ambushes her on the return
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 2:39pm PST 
Jewel

- Will not walk to the car at the end of the work day. If I have a bunch of stuff to put in the car she'll stand on the steps waiting for me to come back and get her. shrug She's fine with the parking lot and stairs coming to work, going out for a walk and etc but at the end of the day she MUST be carried to the car.

- Dislikes all big dogs except GSDs, she doesn't even bark at GSDs out the window.

- Will lay beside a dog bed until I get the point and put a little blankie on it and then will lay in the bed. Beds without blankies are useless!

- Stares at me to get what she wants. Sometimes will stare at me and slowly sink into a down to get what she wants. We spent months working on down and she now thinks that a down will get her whatever she wants.

- Wakes me up by moving up by my head and smacking her lips. Drives me insane. I'm prone to migraines and she's figured out that repeating a noise like that will get me up faster than anything else.

- If she waits in the car for me when I get back she's waiting in the driver's seat and I'm not allowed back in until she's sniff checked the mail or whatever I bought. Really annoying when it's raining.

- My favorite is in the morning after I brush her she gets up, shakes and then gets into position to have her topknot put in. All without a word from me.

Edited by author Wed Oct 24, '12 2:40pm PST

[notify]

Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 3:22pm PST 
- He mothers kittens laugh out loud

- He talks and howls a LOT. He makes these cute growly "bear" noises during play that I love

- He woofs softly in his sleep all the time

- He has inadvertently learned what "bath" and "brush your teeth" means, and will give me a "HOW COULD YOU" look before running off. At the same time, he likes his toothpaste and if I ask him to "get in the bathtub" he does so willingly laugh out loud

- He has an odd habit of destroying trees, branches and snowballs/snowmen when he is excited. In the winter on walks, if he sees a snowman in a field that's 50 feet away, he will stare it down and run to it and decapitate it laugh out loud

- He isn't big on physical affection, but when I am upset he will come shuffle up to me, put both paws on me and give me a solid 30 seconds of concerned eye contact, tail slowly wagging.

- I've also woken up on occasion to him snuggled up against me, sometimes with his face an inch away from mine. I cherish those moments. cloud 9

As many "undesirable" quirks that he does have as well, I wouldn't trade him for the world and the few issues that he does have, have forced me to learn a LOT more about dog behavior and training than I may have otherwise.
[notify]
Leia

The Cowardly- Lion - I'll find my- courage

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 5:22pm PST 
Rigby, picturing that cute dog making seal 'ARFS' is making me giggle.

Oh my, Leia has a bunch of quirks! Let's see:

- She's a total attention hog. If I'm on my computer or reading a book and she wants me to stop, she'll belly crawl over to me on the couch (least expenditure of energy, haha!) and flop her head over the keyboard and touch pad, then paw at the screen or book until I put it away and pay attention to her. Annoyingly adorable!
- She loves being pet, and will headbutt your hands and/or face if you stop before she's ready.
- She must stretch every time she gets up. EVERY time. First front legs, then each back leg, then a yawn. It's a ritual.
- She's the laziest dog I've ever known (her sighthound heritage, I suppose wink) If she had her way, she would only get up to move from bed to couch and back.
- She regularly sleeps with her eyes open! Especially creepy with her dream twitches shock
- Default behavior if I'm trying to teach her something new? Walk away a bit, spin in a circle, then walk back, triumphant and expecting treats!
- If we're cuddling, she loves to put her nose on top of my face. Apparently I make the best head rest.

Whew, that was long. Leia is one funny girl, that's for sure. Lucky for me I found her!
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 6:57pm PST 
*Koby sits in front of me staring intently until I throw his ball. It could be for 1 minute or 1 hourlaugh out loud
If I try and ignore him, he whacks me with his paw.
*He will scream bloody murder if he thinks he hears us setting up his kiddie pool until we let him have it.
*He goes completely bonkers over large exercise balls.......big laugh
*He snores really LOUD. I think it could wake the dead and he should be in the Guinness book of world records.
*Kali can read lips, if I mouth pee, she knows what it means.
*She does a happy doggie dance at feeding time and "talks" to me the whole time, saying her assorted woowoo's and yodels.
*She becomes totally out of control if she hears the back hatch of my SUV open or I put on my hiking hat, because she thinks she's going for a walk.
*When we're at the vet, she hops on me because of her "I'm at the vet anxiety".
That's all I can think of right now.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 7:24pm PST 
- Having the memory span of a goldfish, he happily trots into the vet at the end of his leash expecting a good time.

- He attacks rocks (circling and barking) in the river because he believes they are ... I don't know what he thinks they are.

- He barks at road kill hoping that will reanimate it.

- He is very talkative especially playing tug and makes the best 'huh huh huh' noise I've ever heard.

- If you tell him off he talks back.

- Once when my husband was ignoring him he made eye contact, growled, squatted and emptied his bladder on the kitchen floor. Then he marched himself to the backdoor seemingly fully aware he would get a time out for it. thinking

- He digs. A lot. Anywhere. Everywhere.
[notify]
Tiaki CGC- SD

I am a Pringles- pilfering pup!!

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 8:38pm PST 
Tia is one of the quirkiest dogs I've ever known!!!
-She has to have something in her mouth whenever my dad comes into the basement. The more toys in her mouth the better.
-I taught her to roll over before I will throw a ball for her. But Sita takes that opportunity to pounce on her, so Tia will run to me & try to roll over before Sita can get to her. She's so anxious to do it that one time she tried to roll over without touching the ground & sometimes she won't stop before hitting the ground so she'll skid for a minute before rolling over.
-She can't be trusted with coffee or Pringles. But she is incredibly talented at opening them. She cant take the tops off without leaving a mark on the canisters.
-She is obsessed with the tunnels at the park.
-She's now obsessed with all slides.
-She loves walking on her hind legs
-She doesn't have bones in her legs, she has springs.
-She uses her paws like a boxer.
-She'll stalk anything that moves.
-She thinks shaking a fist at her is hilarious. She gets super excited & smacks at the fist.
-She'll sit as close to me as she can on the couch & puts her head on my chest.
-She steals shoes & socks then tries to get you to chase her to get them back.
-She will only bring back the ball I touched, even if she accidentally drops it near other balls, she'll search till she finds the one with my scent.
-She'll take the ball to the top of a hill, roll it down the hill then chase it down.
She has a ton more quirks, but I can't think of any more right now.

Sita is silly too
-She freaks out if I take her collar off & won't relax until I put it back on.
-She barks non stop when she thinks she's going to one of her favorite places. Today she started barking 6 miles before the exit to their favorite dog park.
-She's very opinionated & shuns people she thinks are below her notice.
-I swear she rolls her eyes when people ask if I'm training her to be a service dog (she's my service dog).
-She will obstinately ignore anyone trying to distract her from her job or from getting a cookie.
-She will use the Jedi mind trick at the bank drive-thru & Starbucks to get a cookie. It pretty much always works.
-She has a special call when she sees cats that aren't hers.
-She will lay with her back right against mine when it's cold.
-She wigs out about snow. She makes doggy snow angels
-She gets the zoomies when she's playing with Tia.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 10:03am PST 
Noah:

- Whenever my wife or I sneezes, Noah gets up and gets a drink out of his water bowl.

- He has only ever stolen food once - the top bun of my hamburger that I had left on the floor. Before that and since, I've always left food on the ground or at his level and the cat food is right in the middle of the kitchen floor and he's never touched it.

- If he wants something, he stares at you. Doesn't make a sound, doesn't touch you, just stares until you notice him.

- He lets the cats chew on him or sleep on him and only chases them when I tell him to "get the kitty!"

- When I ask him if he wants something, he'll spin in a circle to say yes. Always clockwise. If he really wants something, he'll run a full lap around the house.

- He hates the UPS truck. Doesn't bat an eyelash at the USPS, FedEx, or any other type of large truck but he always barks and growls at big brown.

You guys have some hilarious dogs!
[notify]
Hershey

Bark it Loud &- Proud!

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 10:22am PST 
laugh out loud big laugh These are so awesome!

Squirrels are never allowed in the yard.

Must bark at anything passing by our house...just so they know this is his territory.

Huffs and puffs when we don't allow barking.

Shakes his tail...does not wag...totally ridiculous!

Sounds like a Tazmainian Devil when he plays.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3