GO!

Should I stay or should I go?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 10:49am PST 
Yes I started using one a couple years ago and it's been helpful with some of his training. When I don't have one with me I just use "yes" as a marker but I find a clicker a bit more precise and neutral.

Is click the trigger basically just classical conditioning? Could you explain if there is a difference? Thank you smile
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 11:50am PST 
Farley... this IS a bit of a looney setup. We HAVE done exercises having dogs sit or down near the course. 'Near' would be 5-10 feet and the exercise was as much for the stationary dogs as the dog running the course.

I'll also tell you, were that my GSD, _I_ would be breaking her end of the conversation... these things are not usually one-sided. Sooo... maybe take a break so the dice will give you a better set of classmates... or, maybe even better, look around for a better class???

For one of our classes, we do have mats or crates in the training space. The separation between the working dog and resting dogs is sufficient that it's a non-issue (15+ ft)... plus the dogs have worked together long enough that they are not that interested.
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 4:50pm PST 
Farley sounds like a child with ADHD who cannot focus in class with a bunch of other students around. I wonder if perhaps it would be a good idea to backtrack and find a different class with a more controled environment or whether you should just do a private class. Is he a lot better if there're no other dogs around?
[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 6:28pm PST 
As I understand it, clicking the trigger is just classical conditioning. You just start from a distance and then slowly creep your way up to whatever is causing the reaction. If the dog is over threshold don't do anything, just move further back and then do it while he's calm.

Trying to do that in that class (that frankly sounds crazy!) might be a lost effort though. In the beginning a controlled setting will be better.

As for the GSD, JT does exactly the same thing when he sees a dog he desperately wants to meet. He rushes at it. And if the dog is calm he barks his fool head off trying to make it move! (herder thing, I expect.) I don't think he's scared of her, it's quite possible he just really likes her or views her as a potential thing to chase.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 9:03pm PST 
Yoshi- he is an angel if there are no other dogs around... or even just a few calm ones far enough away.

As for the female GSD, I don't know what to do about her. If I stay in the classes, I'll have to work on counter conditioning him if I can get far enough away to do it. I am going to take some time to think about it and maybe speak with my trainer about other options. I am feeling a lot less upset than I was last night, but still a little lost.

Thanks for the post JT, makes me feel better that Farles isn't the only dog out there that is.... "special" laugh out loud
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 1:04am PST 
Speeshul dogs are the best, you know it. way to go
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2