GO!

I have a confession...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 12:12am PST 
My dog should have been renamed Houdini - although his nickname Shiver Me Timbers is quite apt as well.

When I first got Charlie, he was a typical Beagle. An escape artist. One who could defy all bets that said he couldn't escape. Well, mostly...

I had to adapt and learn how to search for ANYTHING that could give him any way to escape. That meant any hole, any crevice, sizes of fences, types of tie outs, etc. He can clear four feet high without an issue at all. This has been seen, repeatedly. Both on yard fences, and in my own house! When I tried to gate him into the living room once, I knew he could jump the baby gate, so my fiance suggested putting the backs of the kitchen chairs(foot feet high) up against the opposite site of the gate to deter him. It did not deter my little man. Immediately, he cleared it without touching a thing. We removed the chairs, knowing it would be more of a safety hazard if he was willing to jump those.

So, we gave in to the fact that if we didn't want him loose in certain areas, it meant we would have to kennel him.

Anyway...

He recently had a problem with regression in his house training and peeing all over my house - three times, three days in a row. And the weird part, is this was within a week of him having a seizure, so I wonder if they were related. In fact, I predicted he was going to have one 'soon', two days prior to him actually having one. I saw the change in his behavior, saw that he was more 'shivery' than normal, etc and said to my fiance, "It's been a couple of months... one is going to hit soon.." Luckily, when it did at 2am, I was awake, heard him banging in his kennel and managed to get him out before he collapsed. I even managed to make it shorter-lived(I read on a canine seizure site that pressure on the closed eyes helped with other seizure dogs, so I tried it, gently holding my hand over his eyes and applying a very very light pressure and he started to come out of it right away, although I'm wary to as of yet, say that's what caused him to come out of it so soon)... But it was only a petite mal, not a grand.

Anyway, onto my point of this post... I began tethering him to me, much like I did when I first got him, and kenneling him when I couldn't supervise, etc. At one point, I was doing A LOT at once, and decided to give him a break. I tethered him in my living room away from furniture.

I kept checking on him, he had food and water access, and he had toys and bones to chew on. In fact, he was quite content to take a break and relax. But shortly after... I found him there, in the spot I had left him, but his leash was not attached to his collar. He sat pretty, acting like he was still on it. But it was laying on the ground. Both leash and collar still fully intact and with no signs of tampering with them.

Here's the thing... This has happened many times over the past several years and was THE REASON I invested in a secure dog run for yards that were not as secure, and the reason he is NEVER EVER left unsupervised on a leash. He's managed this multiple times. On various different kinds of leads, but all with the same basic leash clip. How he does it, I have no idea, because EVERY SINGLE TIME, I ensure that it is clipped onto his collar properly. In fact, his collar is such a thick, wide collar, that if you have the belt of it tucked through the ring, it's actually a pain to clip it on and off of it because you have to wiggle it a bit and fight with it.

Can anyone else's dog escape their leashes without appearing to have tampered with either their collar or the leash? This has happened several times, and I have NEVER caught him in the act. And it astounds me EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

He's gotten tie outs off the round clip on those yard 'stakes'. He's gotten tie outs unclipped from his collar multiple times, and he's gotten regular leashes unclipped from his collar multiple times. I'm debating trying to find a leash without a basic clip, just for the added safety precaution - although he is never left unsupervised on ANY form of leash or tie, due to his seizures anyway.... But if I'm walking him and he pulls this off on a walk..... Any recommendations?
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 4:22am PST 
Jax used to get her leashes off. I found that certain clips are easily opened by the dog twisting. It could be the same kind of clips. I always made sure I checked the leash to see if the clip closed tightly before I put her on it. laugh out loud
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 4:42am PST 
I have THREE dogs who can unsnap a Lupine leash faster than I can snap it back. They cannot open a regular bolt snap, but those kind like the Lupine ones work by pressure on the bolt part and they just press them with their teeth.
[notify]

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 8:34am PST 
You could try getting a locking carabiner for the tie-outs and such. Ruffwear makes a leash with one.
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 8:56am PST 
It sounds like he may have opposable thumbs laugh out loud

Scary thought!

Imagine if dogs had opposable thumbs shock
[notify]

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 10:39pm PST 
thanks for all the infonration guys
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 6:42am PST 
Kai and Mika both figured out how to let themselves off leashes early in life.Even without thumbs Kai has also managed to use a deadbolt and lock us out on more than one occasion,open doors with round knobs just using his snout/muzzle,and find every flaw left by the fence installers. We tend to be very careful in letting him see how we do anything because just by watching us he has managed to figure out how to unlock and open security gates,crates,untether himself,slip any collar and even a halti,open doors and drawers,and work the ice maker on the fridge,him having thumbs would be a total nightmare. My Dear One has actually considered putting in a "nanny cam" just to see how he does some of this.Thankfully he likes to be with us or near us and has learned to stay close or we would be insane by now. I completely understand the "Houdini " thing having one of my own.wishes
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 1:36pm PST 
Omgosh Mika&Kai, that's INSANE! How do you deal with that!?

My foster dog, Beau, he was a Beagle too... And he was worse than Charlie. He could climb chainlink(I had to put a roof on my dog run - which wasn't so bad since it provided shade anyway and protection during bathroom breaks from weather), would BEND metal gates on the dog run!(I ended up using a really old choke chain that I had laying around and never used on the dogs and using it with a lock to chain the gate shut!), would find the weak spot in the bottom of the chainlink and chew and pull until he got it apart and a hole big enough to get through(I ended up securing all the chain link down onto the bottom bar to ensure he couldn't do that anymore, AFTER I had to repair my dang fence!), would chew leashes within seconds(if he didn't slip them), and could bust out of his crate too by unlocking it. He just pawed and chewed at the crate door until it would pop open. I ended up having to use that chain from the dog run, to chain his crate door shut(it worked, too! He never escaped it again unless I let him). He was a little pest of a thing, but if I had owned my own home at the time, I likely would have adopted him. He had HA pretty bad, but I managed to work through most of it, in particular his impulse control(he learned to bark at people instead of just biting when he was uncomfortable), his resource guarding(of EVERYTHING - food, toys, bones, crate, furniture, etc), and got him okay with being handled through desensitization and counter-conditioning. He's now adopted by a young couple, and I couldn't be happier, because I truly thought he was going to be a lifer with the rescue. But yeah, he was quite the little escape artist too.

I couldn't imagine if my dogs could open doors and all those other things Kai can do. Charlie won't even try to bust out of his kennel, but he DOES lick the bars and whine at me if he doesn't want to be in it. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Ria starts learning how to bust out of places soon. In fact, I'm surprised she hasn't attempted jumping baby gates yet... She sees Charlie do it all the time, AND she's taller than him. laugh out loud
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 6:25pm PST 
We were blessed to find out early on with Kai that he could do these things,and I have found the perfect disapproving tone,to make him "hear me"he hates when I use that tone and look at him with disapproval and will snap himself back in line. Kai fully believes that the sun shines out of Mommy's butt and doesn't like to be on my bad side. For as stubborn and willful as Akitas are supposed to be,and at times are,they do adore their person/family and will try to please,even if not right when you ask. For example the pups were playing the "lets run in and out game" and using me as the door opener last Thursday. Kai had gotten me out of a dead sleep asking to go to the potty around midnight,I let them play their game for awhile but just got too tired to stay awake any longer around 1:30 a.m. and not realizing that I had not let them in the last time I let them out,because Kai was being a butthead and did not want to come in when I offered,they spent part of the night outside,it was around 50+ degrees that night,and Dear One was up at 3 to let them in ,both were laying on the porch like angels very happy to see him. Kai has not refused to come in when I offer after dark since,I think he learned he should really come in when called. I'm just thankful I learned to control him early on. We do leave a window unlocked when we leave to ensure he can't lock us out,and I simply give him the look and the tone,and he knows not to do things. If he could read,had thumbs,or knew for sure which button turned on the AC,or just didn't have huge paws,he would turn it on when he was too warm,we know he knows where the control panel is,he puts his paw on it to let us know he is too warm and would like it on,he just can't seem to do it himself,and heaven forbid he ever figures out how to open the fridge,we are done.
[notify]