GO!

Help Me with Mr. Mouthy

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 6:54pm PST 
As some of you know we recently adopted a new pup. He's fit in wonderfully with the family and Sophie seems pleased to have a new playmate and partner in crime.
The only issue is his being "mouthy". It isn't aggression. It seems to be part of his play style. It only happens when I first come in the house. Sophie seems to calm herself by greeting me with a squeaky in her mouth. It even seems that she is trying to teach him, when I come in she'll run up and bonk him on the butt with the squeaky so he'll grab hold and chomp on it too.
They are both high energy and very attached to me. I just need to teach him that you don't nip at people EVER...he's a box headed bully...you can't believe the size puppy toofins that are in there...But like I said he's shown no signs of aggression to anybody. Just need suggestions on what commands will teach him to be a bit more self calming. little angel
[notify]