GO!

CGC- What is acceptable?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 7:51pm PST 
I'm working on earning the CGC with Sarah. I am wondering what behaviors are "acceptable" during the tasks.

Like- Can they whine a little during supervised separation, so long as they aren't jumping or lunging or howling?

Can they flinch for the grooming portion if they still tolerate it?

Can they go up to see a person so long as they aren't jumping or pulling?

Lizzie earned her CGC, a few years ago but should not have- she howled through the entire separation... This evaluator was very lenient, and the one I am talking to now sounds much more strict... Just wondering what is common around the US.
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 8:38am PST 
Can they whine a little during supervised separation, so long as they aren't jumping or lunging or howling? - The dog does not have to stay in position but should not continually bark, whine, or pace unnecessarily, or show anything stronger than mild agitation or nervousness. On this, 'howling the whole time' would be a problem. Charka was nervous with this one too... but a LITTLE whining was OK.

Can they flinch for the grooming portion if they still tolerate it? - I'm not going to post the whole rule on this. The test is designed to a) determine that the dog is well-cared-for and b) that it will permit handling/grooming by a stranger. _I_ would interpret that a flinch (degree is everything wink ) is not a problem. A stronger reaction would be.

Can they go up to see a person so long as they aren't jumping or pulling? - The dog may show some interest in the strangers but should continue to walk with the handler, without evidence of over-exuberance, shyness or resentment. I assume you mean during moving through the crowd. I got carried away since Charks was doing sooo well and let her pass too close to someone. She sniffed, I chatted her up and got her attention back. The 'some interest' bit is the interpretive element. IF you are talking about the chatting-with-stranger bit rather than the crowd (?), THAT is different and dog should not break position.

We took the CGC early in our training. I wanted to see where we needed to work to eventually pass... and darned if Charka didn't pass on first try. I look back on that and think 'darn, we didn't do perfectly on specific pieces'. In toto, she and I did fine. By now? Well, we're training in a therapy dog class and we're long way from that early test. Charks is really good and _I_ know how to handle her better...

But that CGC? Well we did OK... even though I still think/agonize about handling my way out of a couple of jams... it STILL bothers me how close _I_ came to messing up my dog laugh out loud

ETA If I had to do it with a new partner... I'd train a bit longer. Oh, heck. Who am I kidding. I'd take it after a couple of ob classes just to see where we are thinking

Edited by author Fri Oct 19, '12 8:42am PST

[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 8:10pm PST 
Thanks for the feedback! I guess my first evaluator was so lenient, this new person sees super strict to me. My older Aussie is a "retired" therapy dog. She should not have her CGC and shouldn't have passed the therapy dog evaluation given her howling during her separation from me. However, both the CGC evaluator and the therapy dog evaluator passed her.

Honestly I hate the separation part of the test. I've never had to give my dog over to someone in a public place. I kind of like that they have that "need" to be with me as they have that internal drive to stay close. I have thought about doing the C.L.A.S.S. evaluation instead, but it just doesn't have that established "ring" to it like CGC does...
[notify]

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 9:24am PST 
The seperation part is the only reason I haven't taken Jewel for her CGN, she just can't handle it. Even with people she knows. Me walking away panics her. She doesn't have SA, she has abandonment issues. confused
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 9:38am PST 
AKC CGC as of January 2013 will also become an actual suffix title for an additional charge, even though people have been padding their dogs' name with it since forever ago.

Also, starting in the new year 2 evaluators will be present for the certifications to verify a passing performance.
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 1:01pm PST 
Good info to know.

I don't "pad" my dog's name with her CGC, we worked hard to earn it and as far as I am concerned it is worth the recognition, regardless of whether or not I pay the extra money to the AKC for it to be an official title. However, I have never bred her and will never breed her. She's been spayed, but I wouldn't do it even if she was intact. I can see breeding programs using the CGC like a badge of honor for their dogs as a problem.

I do like the two evaluators rule. The judge I have been talking to (also my trainer) does her evals with a second judge.
[notify]