GO!

How to introduce a puppy to an adult dog?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 3:16pm PST 
My family is intent on adding another pup to the family- either a Sheltie or another Mini Aussie. Based on what I've read around, it's harder to introduce an adult dog into the family with another adult dog... plus quite rare to find Mini Aussies or Shelties in rescue where I live (southern California).

Kityra was also a puppy introduced to my past old dog, a female Pekingese who recently passed. We didn't even research on the how during that time, but things ended up quite well. It might be better if there are some more proper ways to do it though.

How is it done / any requirements?
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 4:45pm PST 
We've done it twice now. We took our adult dogs with us to visit the puppy. That way, the adult dog meets the pup on neutral territory. You will also know if the adult dog will accept the pup. That way you don't have to worry about taking the pup back if your current dog has an issue with the pup. Sometimes it helps to get the opposite sex of the adult. Not all, but some breeds are competitive with the same sex. Good Luck!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 5:14pm PST 
I love Kali's advice it worked great for us to do it that way as well. We took Mika with us once to the breeders then the next time she went was to bring him home.We allowed them to walk around outside a bit then had him follow her into the house,things worked out very well for us,as he was growing he tested her limits and they had a few scuffles but they are the best of friends and have been for several years now.
[notify]

Niki

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 7:49pm PST 
How is your current dog with other dogs?

If your dog is fine, then I see no problems in adopting an adult dog. In fact, they'll probably get along a lot better than she will with a puppy. In many cases, getting a dog that is a similar age works out great ... they have a buddy that is mentally (and physically) at the same level as them.

If you do want another smaller sized aussie, please don't buy a "mini aussie". Not a real breed and you'll be supporting a BYB.
[notify]
Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 10:30pm PST 
Thanks guys- I am planning on bringing Kityra to meet the pup at the breeder's home. I agree on the opposite sex part too. She's very fond of male dogs of any age, but could care less for other females... unless they were puphood (childhood?) friends already. We're actually going to bring Kityra to meet a male Sheltie pup this Saturday, so I'm super stoked for that.

Hmmm... Nikki, I agree there are many backyard breeders who ride the Mini Aussie trend coat-tails, and spotting one of those is quite clear. But Mini Aussies DO have established breed clubs and dog shows. There are responsible people are breeding them, though for different purposes than the standard Aussie... Most that are reputably bred come from homes that are into dog sports and also aim for pet quality, and less of the overwhelming herding instinct (aiming for high-drive)

Officially, they are purebred Aussies in a smaller size. The ones called "Toy Aussies" are small mutt versions often sold in pet stores and are not a breed... mixed with Papillons, Shelties, and the like. Those "toys" are the ones you are referring to, and yes, they are indeed puppy mill and backyard breeder fodder.

But Miniature Australian Shepherds are definitely a real breed by now, except they now titled the North American Shepherd.
http://www.namascusa.com/news.htm
“The NAMASCUSA Board and the appointed AKC Committee are currently in negotiations with AKC / USASA for the AKC recognition of the Mini Aussie”
NAMASCUSA, one of the parent clubs for mini-Aussies (there is also MASCA) became the parent club for AKC registrations. The president of NAMASCUSA became the president of MASCUSA transferring over everything except the "aussie" name.

Here's actually quite a lengthy and in-depth thread discussed last year about the recognition of the Mini Aussie. smile Just putting this info out there for the uninformed, since the breed is still indeed a "developing breed", and therefore can get a little controversial (though hopefully not catty).
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Choosing_the_Right_Dog/thread /704757/1

Edited by author Wed Oct 17, '12 10:39pm PST

[notify]
Niki

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 5:19pm PST 
Thanks for the information, I am aware of the controversy.

I was generalizing that if a breeder only calls it a mini aussie, they aren't breeding for any recognized club. The proper term for the breed club is North American Shepherd or the Miniature American Shepherd Club. Of course, proper nomenclature doesn't necessitate a good breeder.

My qualm with these clubs is the fact that true Australian Shepherds (within ACK, ASCA) have such an allowed variation in size. However, if fanciers want smaller versions mixed with other breeds to exist, then Australian Shepherd would be misleading to have in the name.

Anyway, good luck with the sheltie visit!
[notify]
Zoey

oops theres a- wall there!

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 6:40pm PST 
We have an older dog (12ish) that we took in as a stray about a year and a half ago. We have friends that come over with their dogs in the 5ish range and she absolutely loves them and constantly wanted to play/interact with them. So I figured hey let's get a puppy so that she can have a friend! yeah no... didn't work out, she wanted absolutly NOTHING to do with Zoey. Zoey is 7 months now and Tinker has just started letting her lay by her. We never had any altercations with them Tinker just would move to not be by Zoey. So with us I do believe it was a age thing, Tinker just perfers the older dogs, has no time for pups and their nonsense
[notify]