GO!

Close Call

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 11:59am PST 
My dog was attacked today by a much bigger dog.

I was going snowboarding and Milton was going too. I had his enclosed bed and a hot water bottle to put under it. About an inch of snow was on the ground and it was cold, so I put his jacket on. His jacket saved him from possible injuries. If he was not wearing the jacket the dog could of seriously bit him. Thank you snow.

Milton was not on a leash and the other dog was. If Milton was on a leash, the dog would still attack him. The aggressive dog was on a retractable leash. If Milton was injured the attack probably would be my fault because he was not leashed.

Milton was standing by my feet and was seconds from jumping into my truck. He did not approach this dog. I saw this women walking close by and did not see her dog. I don't think she saw mine. She was about 2 feet from my truck.

I sometimes see this dog and he is very aggressive. The dog is a fat akita and has severe dog reactions when he sees me walking dogs. Suddenly I heard aggressive growling and looked down and saw the akita had my dog by the jacket. He was snarling and shaking Milton by his little orange coat. I was about to kick the dog right between the eyes and he let go after being dragged off.

If Milton was not wearing the coat, the dog would of grabbed Milton's back. I am sure Milton would of been injured. The dog wanted to kill him. Milton obviously is not a toy and the dog was thrashing him around like prey. This was not provoked at all. I think this dog should be muzzled and not on a retractable leash.

The only thing I said was, I am going to kick your dog in the face. This dog is going to attack another dog if has not done so already. I don't think akitas are dangerous but this particular one is. The people that handle him walk him on a retractable leash and have no control. Retractable leashes are not for aggressive dogs.

I think if this was my dog I would muzzle him. There are a lot of off-leash dogs around. It did not take one approaching him. The dog grabbed my dog by my feet. This is a dangerous dog.

I'am so glad Milton was wearing the jacket today. Later I walked him around a ski area and he was greeted by multiple dogs. He was not phased by the attack and even greeted a big rottie with a wagging tail.

This women did not say anything to me. I might mention a muzzle the next time I see her.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 1:18pm PST 
Sorry this happened to Milton but that's great that he wasn't harmed and seemed unphased by it! I can't imagine how that lady could just say nothing as her dog tried to attack yours. Not just a snarl and snap or anything but actually grabbing him and shaking him like prey. That's scary. Thank goodness he had a jacket on!

I don't know if you'd be able to file a police report because Milton wasn't actually physically harmed, but I might try anyway if I were you, just in case this dog does end up attacking another dog, at least it will have a report filed on it already.. if not, you could always go try to talk with the lady and tell her if her dog is animal aggressive it really shouldn't be running around on a retractable leash, trying to attack other dogs totally unprovoked. That's not exactly responsible on her part and if you tell her the consequences of what the law can do if her dog successfully attacks another dog, that might scare her straight.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 5:08pm PST 
I'm so sorry that Milton was attacked. I'm very glad that he was saved from injury by his coat. As an Akita owner I find stories like this very disturbing because Akita owners who are irresponsible and fail to realize that Akitas can do damage when not properly trained and controlled make all of us look bad and make our fight to prove that it is bad breeding/irresponsible ownership that is the problem,not the breed itself.Kai is a neutered male and so far having just turned 3 hasn't shown any DA/SSA.
Mika on the other hand is slightly SSA but KNOWS that "LEAVE IT" means just that and unless the other dog gets in her face first will just ignore them.
Again,I am so glad Milton is basically okay. I'm sure he was quite shaken-up(no pun intended) by the incident and although it may do nothing I too think you should file a report.Perhaps with both the police and AC just so that if it happens to you again or someone else,the local authorities are aware that the dog is known to be agressive.hugwishes Thank-you for acknowledging that it is only that dog and not the breed as a whole,it is greatly appreciated.flowers
[notify]

Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 6:14pm PST 
If I based my opinions of breeds based on individual dogs attacking Milton, I would have to fear puggles and labradors.

In the same day a huge rottweiler off leash ran up to Milton like an excited puppy. The rottie then instantly dropped into a play bow right in front of Milton. He did like 5 of them and never even made contact with my dog. He was so funny. He really wanted Milton to play with him and was being so polite. Milton never plays with other dogs, but he did wag his tail really fast. This dog was an example why BSL is a bad idea. I was not afraid at all. He was a goofy big dog.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 7:40am PST 
Yikes!! Who on earth puts a dog with aggression issues on a retractable leash. Idiocy.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 8:36am PST 
Yikes!! Who on earth puts a dog with aggression issues on a retractable leash. Idiocy

I do.

Some of us know how to use them correctly!

Glad Milton was ok.

Edited by author Thu Oct 18, '12 8:36am PST

[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 9:25am PST 
Having a large, aggressive large dog on a retractable leash is idiocy.
No way would I have let Mikey walk on one. You're just asking for trouble when the dog is ahead of you and you can't see what's around the corner/or on the other side of a car before your dog.

There's a gal who walks her nasty Pom on a retractable and lets her dog go up ahead of her on the fully extended leash. The dog had two close calls with Mikey as he and I were approaching a corner and the only thing that saved that dog from Mikey's teeth was the fact that the building on the corner has large glass windows and I saw the woman coming from the other side at the last second. By the time I was able to stop and start to turn around, her dog made it's way around the corner and went at Mikey. Owner was completely clueless to her dogs behavior. I could see her face.
Had that leash been pulled from her hands by her dog, her dog would have been severly injured or killed.

There are just clueless people out there who don't think.
Glad Milton is ok and shows no signs of it affecting him.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 9:32am PST 
I know someone who walks a big lab on a retractable leash and the result is regular mayhem. I walk Savvy on a nice stout leash...Braided triple thickness of reflectable nylon.

I don't like retractables with little dogs and think walking a large, strong dog on one is just ridiculous.

And Savvy is far from aggressive, but better on the safe side and fully in control if she decides to try any stuntwork.

eta: SO glad little Milton is unhurt and unfazed.

Edited by author Thu Oct 18, '12 9:33am PST

[notify]