GO!

PetSmart Training

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Ruby

Like a precious- stone

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 4:31pm PST 
I got signed up for classes! smile

I went to the classes and watched them, love the fact that the trainer teaches YOU and not the dog, YOU teach the dog.

I just wanted to hear good/bad stories about it. I'm very knowledgeable with dog behavior, but I feel like I rather take the classes for socialization and to learn methods of training. I'm only signing up my puppy though, my little pom doesn't really need the training, except potty training and what I learn in the class with Ruby, I can apply with him smile

I'm pretty excited! big grin
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 5:14pm PST 
I've never used Pet Smart for training. But I know not all trainers are created equal. You will get good ones and bad ones. It's good you sat in on a class. If you like the way "that" trainer was handling the class, then I would stick with that person. Good Luck!
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 5:48pm PST 
It really does vary from trainer to trainer and store to store. Personally, I would rather have dogs go into group classes like that as proofing than for training something for the first time. If the class is poorly organized or not separated enough from other people/dogs wandering the store, it might be difficult to teach your dog something new because there's so much other stuff going on.
[notify]

Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 5:44am PST 
Don't ever think that your dog is trained well enough to not benefit from classes. I could take a intro to obedience class with Cohen and still get something out of it: behaviours can always be cleaner, faster, taught with/out verbal/hand signals, and you can proof them all with some excellent distractions. Good luck with your classes, but don't discount your Pom. smile
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 6:42am PST 
You are excited? THAT is really important laugh out loud Go for it; have a blast. I still get excited heading off to whatever class with my canine partner. Heck, _I_ get excited just stepping out my front door for a walk with Charks... it's the everyday applications of all the training we do wink

Let me share a secret. I love training. It does get me a better behaved, safer companion. But the amazing bit is the insight into what is going on between those fuzzy ears. You can begin to learn to function as a partner with your dog. For me... THAT is why we train.

Sooo... don't discount that pom. The training is not just about the specifics of ob commands. You and your dog are setting up a framework for communication (IMHO).
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 6:58am PST 
I am with Cohen. There are classes that I TEACH that I still will take as a student with another trainer. Even though Ali and I are BOTH Rally judges, I take her Rally classes with my dogs, she takes my Rally classes with her dogs. We both learn from each other and from each and every team we teach.

And my dogs love taking classes. In fact, last night I decided Demon's new emergency recall is "Wanna work?". wink
[notify]