GO!

Mr Humpty, what can you do to control humping?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 11:39am PST 
Callie was fixed on Monday. We don't know how old he is. He and Sophie are having the predictable competing for attention. I'm having some success with the first few times he tried to hump her I used a light water mist. Now I just have to say "CALLIE No" and he stops. Is it something he'll forget about as the male hormones go away? Poor Sophie has to even be protected from one of the cats that tries to get jolly with her...I'm serious...a ten pound cat cornering a sixty pound dog. She doesn't show aggression in any case. She just runs to a human for protection. I don't want any of the animals taking advantage of her, poor Pookins.
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 1:43pm PST 
"Is it something he'll forget about as the male hormones go away?"

Dogs hump, male or female, altered or not. They hump for a number of reasons, like to initiate play, insecurity, excitement, etc. So to answer your question, no, not necessarily. Congratulations on your new addition! wishes

Edited by author Fri Oct 12, '12 1:43pm PST

[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 2:44pm PST 
Farles was neutered at 4 months old and he started humping around 2 years old. It is a regular behavior of his- usually out of excitement and during play. He only mounts dogs and there seems to be no common factor between size, breed, sex, etc. I am not really sure how to control it either
confused
[notify]