GO!

What can't you trust your dog with?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Bodha Lei- (Rainbow- Bridge)

i blame the- cat...

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 4:17pm PST 
Socks and sneakers. Surprisingly I can leave food with in reach and Cider will not take it. Stare at it and drool yes, but she won't touch it. Bodha would eat anything. In fact she couldn't be trusted with the fridge or the oven. She could, and would open both and eat anything she could reach.
[notify]
Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 2:40pm PST 
The rubbery ends of Dads ear buds. Was picking these strange round objects up in his poop & couldn't figure out what they where till I mentioned it to Dad - who promptly put two and two together.

Vegemite toast is another one

BBQ plate. Fat, lard, char and burnt stuff down the front of a white ruff. shock
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 3:43pm PST 
Onyx constantly surprises me by how good he is with food. Fenrir is a terrible counter surfer and garbage digger, and has eaten all kinds of things (1 1/2 lbs of uncooked bread dough probably being the worst as far as coming out the other end silenced), but Oni is much more trustworthy. Several times I've set food down and gone to go do something, only to realize I left the food sitting right at his level. Hurry back and he's lying there not touching it.

He can't be trusted to leave the cats alone. He doesn't hurt them but he loves to try to get them to run. The older one is very dog savvy and knows better than to run from him, so he'll try all kinds of things to make her run. Not the least of which is putting her entire head in his mouth. He'll leave her alone when I tell him to, but constantly tries to come back from a different angle to get to her again.

He also loves the Sherpa blanket I recently bought. I'll get up from the bed for a minute, and when I come back he's dead weight sprawled across it, refusing to move laugh out loud

Edited by author Sat Oct 13, '12 3:44pm PST

[notify]

Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 9:55pm PST 
I don't think Bianca's ever stolen food, unless it was crumbs dropped on the floor (and no one told her 'leave it') and she doesn't chew things up, she leaves the cats' toys alone, so I can't really think of anything. Although if I left raw meat on a low coffee table and didn't tell her to 'leave it' I can't guarantee it would still be there if I left the room, she does love the raw stuff! She doesn't bother the bags though, if I leave her in the car with groceries that include raw meat or bones.
The only thing of mine she's really tried to eat was these fuzzy duck slippers, I got them in a White Elephant gift swap and later I went to try them on and Bianca started trying to pull them off my feet! laugh out loud I was laughing too hard to say "leave it", she obviously thought they were dog toys and didn't understand why they were strapped to my feet... If I had told her they were mine and to leave it I'm pretty sure she would not have bothered them again-- that's all I had to do when she first got here and she was trying to play with the cat toys, now she doesn't even look twice at them when I am tossing them around. I just thought it was too funny and was laughing too hard to say anything to her, and she doesn't chew toys up so even if she did get ahold of them somehow (I haven't actually worn them yet except to try them on) all she would do is get them a little wet from holding them in her mouth.

With Ginger, it was bread. She LOVED bread and would steal it off the counters if you left it where she could reach.
[notify]
Liam

Lil Country Boy

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 11:09pm PST 
Socks....pillows....shoes....shirts....eggnogg....food....need i go on? Liam thinks if he can reach it, its his.

Tuarwen doesnt really steal anything oO Infact she wont even eat unless i tell her to.
[notify]
Chase

Oh boy!- Ohboyohboyohboy!

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 8:04am PST 
Chase cannot be trusted around cat food, or dead fish. If there's a dead fish she will find it and she will roll in it.
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 12:16pm PST 
If I give both Ace and Kale a chew, Ace plows through hers and stalks Kale until he leaves his unattended.

If I leave a paper towel on the counter, I'll find it on the floor later. Ace used to do more counter surfing and has started in on a loaf of bread a time or two, but anything pushed back to the wall she leaves alone now.

There are a couple of trouble spots on walks for both dogs. There are some bushes at a particular spot, I don't know what is in them, but both dogs drag me over to jump in them and hunt whatever it is, if I forget to cross the street.

Ace must taunt some dogs behind fences (I'm out and you're not!) Other houses with dogs in the backyard she leaves alone. Not sure why. I assume she's sensing which barks behind the fence are friendly and which are not.

And I don't trust either one off-leash. Ever.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 12:18pm PST 
Sophie is extremely polite about food. A pot roast can be unsupervised on the table and she'll just be body wagging on the floor looking all expectant. Her only weakness is meatballs from the pizza place. Each night hubby brings her one. Before she gets it she barks and howls and leaps. I think she spends the whole day waiting for that meatball. If you try to eat a sub with them in front of her she almost wets herself.
Callie eats almost everything so we just keep the food out of his way.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 12:27pm PST 
Goose poop, otter poop, raw cat food (if she thinks you aren't paying attention), wadded up kleenex (if it's within easy reach).

Other than that, she is very good about not grabbing stuff that doesn't belong to her. We have a toybox for her, and she knows that anything in it is fair game.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 7:42pm PST 
Oh yeah I forgot, one thing Bianca would take-- when I had my senior cat I had to leave food on the floor for her because she was sick and old and couldn't climb/jump to get the food where I normally keep it, and she wasn't moving around a lot at times so I had to keep it near her bed. If I left, Bianca would sometimes eat her food. At first she never would touch it but after I'd been leaving it out like that regularly she started taking it sometimes if it was left out when we were gone or at night.

Edited by author Sun Oct 14, '12 7:44pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4