GO!

What can't you trust your dog with?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 6:04am PST 
At our place...
... never leave anything edible unguarded, it will be eaten, if not by canines, but by the felines.
... always supervise eating dogs. Alva is a food guarder and may start a fight if she thinks she can boss everyone.
... never leave visiting kids and dogs without supervision. Our dogs know no kids. Both can do something stupid that leads into an accident.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 6:43am PST 
Dogs! Missy is NOT good with them.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 6:48am PST 
Lucille's pretty good about food in general. She doesn't need to be crated when we're gone. She never touches anything and just sleeps the day away. It's nice to have a dog that isn't a destroyer. Never even chewed a shoe as a puppy.

But Butter? she's like Squam, she'll do whatever it takes to get to that yummy stick and we can't leave it out anymore. It's the only thing that she'll counter surf for. She got a whole one once and I was worried about the rocket butt or her getting sick. She was totally fine. Instead about a week or so later her coat started feeling super soft and silky and I noticed her skin was a bit less dry. So it prompted me to up the fat content in her diet. But not in the form of whole sticks of butter!laugh out loud
[notify]

Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 8:35am PST 
Ringo- Beer. He loves beer. Just last week my husband set his beer down on the ground. I called for Ringo and when he didn't come I went to see where he was and sure enough, he knocked over the beer can and was drinking. I keep the empties in the garage until I take them back to recyle. Ringo runs right to the cans and starts licking them.

Huck- He's pretty trust worthy. He really doesn't get into anything anymore, but, if he sees a pillow or something with the smallest peice of foam hanging out, he'll destroy it.

Edited by author Fri Oct 12, '12 8:36am PST

[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 8:44am PST 
Hmmm... latches? If thumbs are not absolutely required, Charks will open the latch (or activate the garage door) if the spirit moves her. It's why we don't latch the doors inside the house. I don't want her to consider round knobs a mystery worth exploring.

I'd like to teach her to make coffee... but will need a coffee maker with larger buttons thinking
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 8:56am PST 
I can't trust Nick to be offleash and have reliable recall.
I can't trust Paris to not get in trouble by following her nose.

Edited by author Fri Oct 12, '12 8:57am PST

[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 9:28am PST 
I'm sure Moose can't be trusted with anything. He is just a puppy afterall, but for sure he can't be trusted with a paper napkin within his sights. He'll eat it mighty quickly. He's obsessed.

A couple of times I've been in my living room watching t.v. when I notice him whining in the kitchen. Moose whines very specifically so after a few minutes, I get up to find him with his chin on my kitchen table looking longingly at a paper towel sitting directly in the middle of the table. It was so cute.
Such a good boy for not jumping up on the table to get it, but the giant dog nail gouges in the table tell me that he isn't always so polite.

Luckily he isn't much of a counter surfer. I can leave packaged coffee beans, fruit, packaged cookies/chips on the counter and he never touches it. Although, if he's left out of his crate while I'm gone, I do make it less likely for him to attempt it. But, still, I hide all paper napkins since he can see on top of my counters.
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 10:09am PST 
Harley - Shoes, towels, socks, rugs...but only for the first 5 minutes I come in the door from work. They are not touched at any other time. He must have something to greet me with and for some reason a toy is not good enough.

Maci - is the quiet thief. If it is at her level she will take it.

Being retrievers though, they usually bring me the thing they stole big laugh

Edited by author Fri Oct 12, '12 10:10am PST

[notify]
Dingo

The only limit- is the end of- the trail

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 11:09am PST 
Dingo - Cat and chicken food, if he has access to it it will be gone. He also use to be a litter box snacker but he's not gone for Tunas offerings yet.
Dasy - She's pretty good.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 12:29pm PST 
Small furry critters and blankets that just came out of the dryer. Although, to be fair, you really can't trust me with warm blankets either as I'll promptly cuddly up in them too.

If the food isn't an easy steal, my 2 don't bother with it thankfully.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4