GO!

Has anyone else gone through a stage when they really don't like your dog?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Koby

I'm a big brat- and I don't care- :)

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 4:41pm PST 
Koby has been really out of control lately. He can't help it. He's just a very large puppy. It's not his fault, it's mine. I broke my foot a while back and it's taking forever to heal, which is a very long story. He's the kind of dog that has endless energy and needs very long walks. He's becoming completely out of control. He has hip dysplaisia so I can't just throw a ball for him to chase. I've tried regular obedience training with him, but he has so much energy that he can't focus. I've looked for places to swim him, but there are none close by. He was so bad tonight that I resorted to throwing the ball for him. I know that was bad because of his hips, but I had to do something. I'm a bad pet parent and I really don't like him right now. shrug Ok, I'm finished with my whining.
[notify]
Tiaki CGC- SD

I am a Pringles- pilfering pup!!

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 5:35pm PST 
cry I'm sorry. That's no bueno. I didn't really like my dogs too much yesterday when they stole the cookies I bought them at the doggy bakery while I ran into the store. Totally my fault. I forgot to put them where they couldn't get em. They also drive me crazy if they don't get enough exercise. Do you have someone that could walk your dog for you? Or maybe hire a dog walker while you heal?smile
[notify]
Skarlet

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 5:38pm PST 
I'm pretty sure Skarlet was born with an adult dog brain and we've always had a good and consistently improving relationship, but I've had dogs in the past that have almost driven me insane!! Including one that just never ever seemed to leave that puppy stage! Most dogs grow up at some point though.
My suggestion would be to find out if there is anyone else that could spend some time with your puppy, do some training and just give him some exercise. Honestly, I am away from home right now and I just wish I had a dog to walk and train! I miss mine so much! Maybe there is someone you know or from your area that can't have a dog for some reason and could give yours some extra attention.
[notify]

ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 5:59pm PST 
Have you tried hiding his meals and making him search for them? Broadcasting kibble through the yard for him to find? Feeding from an interactive toy like a kong (stuff w something moist and freeze)? Nina Ottosson toys? Teaching tricks? Walks are really NOT the only way to tire your dog.

Also, you may want to google Dr. Karen Overall's Protocols for Relaxation.
[notify]
Koby

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 6:16pm PST 
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them. I can't hide food in the house because Kali can't have it. But he is toy driven and I have been hiding that for him to search for. I'll have to do more of it. As for someone walking him, I'll try to find someone.That's a good idea. Hopefully, it will warm up a little so I can give him back his kiddie pool. Thanks for the suggestion Asher, I'll look for it.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 6:33pm PST 
Ahhh those lovely adolescent gsd years. laugh out loud They can be so annoying at this age, so I totally feel your pain. hug
What I do with Squ'mey is work on obedience combined with fun. I will have him do sits, downs, stays, and reward him with his favourite tug or ball. I will also pick up all his toys and then hide one and tell him to find it. That can keep his nose & mind busy for anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes, depending on where the toy is hidden. He is always so proud of himself when he has made a "hard" find. Three of those and he is ready for some couch snugglingcloud 9
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 9:38pm PST 
Aw, buck up, Koby. We all feel like that sometimes. hug I haven't been well lately and have pretty much stopped walking mine and there are times he drives me to despair. You just manage the best you can. You definitely aren't a bad owner.
[notify]
Smokey

Let's play tug!!

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 9:42pm PST 
You're not a bad owner!! I agree, find a strong teenage boy who wants an afterschool job.
[notify]
Koby

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 3:42am PST 
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate you guys. Thanks.
[notify]
Koby

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 3:49am PST 
Asher, thanks for the suggestion of Dr. Karen Overall's Protocols for Relaxation. I'll try that today. Right now he's running around the house jumping on the couch. My couch will never be the same. Ugh. confused I have to go hide his favorite ball now.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5