GO!

High prey dogs and nature reserve. Too stimulating?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 5:58pm PST 
Opheila, I doubt walking in a preserve every now and then is "torture" to a dog.

My dogs can be chow hounds and love meat, but I feed them kibble. I also eat my food in front of them. Is that tortuous? Dogs are adaptable, tough creatures. They'd probably be really happy if they were able to do whatever they want, but they can't. I'm sure there are many things your dog wanted to do that you did not let them do. You most certainly are not torturing them.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 8:35pm PST 
I bought the harness for everything, lol (cheap thing I am.) We hike, jog, run, rollerblade and eventually I will buy a kick bike. It's a good one, the web master, as it has a a tow line as well as a back clip.

No confusion. Just teach him a slow down and speed up command. Treat when he stops and treat when he runs with you and add a command to each.

I really love that harness. I was looking at it yesterday going on about how much I love it and hubby left the room. laugh out loud

And it also has a handle! You can grab and hold your dog in an emergency! Look into one, it's well worth the money.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 11:09pm PST 
Bunny, I think that the more you take him to places like this, the easier it will get. Taking him there you've taken the edge off his energy with a good run might help too.

I'd be considering just standing in one spot and rewarding any checking in with you, even if at first it's just an ear flick in your direction. smile Yes, you may be standing there for a while!!

Are you allowed to use a long line to give him a bit more freedom?

I really liked all of Lucille's suggestions.

If he is that super excited and distracted in new environments, I'd be practicing focus exercises in the car in the parking lot (with the very real possibility that you guys might not get to leave the parking lot during that first session).
[notify]

Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 8:28am PST 
I think it's unfair to bring any dog to any place that any of their drives will over stimulate them to the point of an absolute behavior freak out.

If the dog can't keep his/her head that can put him/her in danger. With certain drives and certain dogs it can put everyone else around them in danger as well. Over threshold is not something I ever strive to offer my dogs. We play with close, but over stimulated to the point of going bonkers and losing all focus is too far.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2