GO!

Your Dogs and Snow - Let's share!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 11:44pm PST 
I have a few questions, so let's share!

Do your dogs like snow? If so, how well do they handle the cold?

Do you do anything for them due to the cold? IE - Booties, sweater, supplementing, etc.

Charlie LOVES LOVES LOVES snow, but he can't handle anything below -0C(bol), so he has booties(I've had too many issues with ice melt and his paws to risk it anyway), and a sweater so that he can stay warmer, AND enjoy the snow for longer.

This will be Ria's first snow fall and in fact, we took her outside into the sleet tonight for her bedtime pee, and she went CRAZY, so excited to be getting wet and playing on the wet grass, lol. I think I'll have another winter dog on my hands.

Maya, my old Rottweiler, unfortunately due to her extremely sensitive paws, also needed booties on her feet to keep her from getting overly cold during the cold weather.

It's a little unrelated, but I'm also trying to figure out a way to winterize my poor bunnies as my house FREEZES in Spring and Fall and is sure to do so in Winter, as well - meaning my bunnies in my spare bedroom will likely be cold too unless I can do something. So far, will be placing that plastic insulation on the windows under the blanket already on it, and be providing them with warmer blankets in their cages, and probably more hay to bed down on too.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 12:44am PST 
Onyx definitely likes snow. We have to go up into the mountains to find it, and haven't gotten any yet this season, but he has a blast when we go.

He has a decent amount of coat so cold doesn't seem to bother him. He'd much rather it be cold all year than suffer through our summers. I didn't do anything for him the times we played in the snow, but it wasn't for longer than a couple hours, and I did check his paws occasionally just in case.

Pictures! These are from last winter.
Enjoying the snow
Enjoying it a little too much
On the run

Edited by author Wed Oct 3, '12 12:51am PST

[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 1:49am PST 
I woke one winter morning at 5 am to the sound of my boyfriend laughing harder than I had ever heard him laugh in our entire relationship. He had opened the door, our malamute puppy took one look at the white stuff, turned around and ran back into the apartment as fast as he could go (he had all his hair then, I promise!) He did eventually grow to like it. If he gets a crack in his paw, we wash it before bed and put on bag balm and a bootie so it can heal.
[notify]

Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 2:51am PST 
Yes, my dogs love snow. Especially Conker. He goes crazy for it.

No, I don't do anything special, just more food if they spend a lot of time outside (It doesn't snow much here though... just real wet and cold) The mixes will get cold after a while or if it's wet snow and they get damp, so I don't take them out for too long when it's cold or wet. Conker never seems to notice or care, so I take him out for as long as he wants.

Conker has always loved snow. He had a short WTF moment the first time he saw it, but after he figured out it wasn't gonna eat him, he fell deeply in love. He (for some bizarre unknown reason) blew his coat in the middle of winter when I lived in St. Louis and had no undercoat for a while, but he still wanted to go out anyways. He'd be standing there in the snow up to his chest shivering like mad, but if I tried to take him back inside to warm up, he'd scream and bite.
It doesn't snow often where I live now and it's wet and only sticks for a couple hours. But when it does snow, I take Conker hiking and he just has a blast.

Edit: We had a bunny for a while and he had an outdoor hutch. He slept in it during the nights and was out in a pen during the day.
Anywho, we got a small electric heater pad thing and put it under his bedding and draped a thick towel over the hutch in the winter and that kept him nice and toasty at night.

Edited by author Wed Oct 3, '12 2:59am PST

[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 4:01am PST 
Cobain After a Snowball fight

Cobain Howling

Oz in the Snow

Last year we didn't get much snow, and Rigby was still a little shy. If she enjoys snow like she enjoys puddles and sandboxes, I'm sure to get some great pictures of her!

I might consider getting a coat for Rigby, but the other 2 don't get anything special done for them.

Edited by author Wed Oct 3, '12 4:04am PST

[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 4:09am PST 
"Do your dogs like snow? If so, how well do they handle the cold?"

Farles does like snow, and he has thick fur so I suspect he handles it well.

"Do you do anything for them due to the cold? IE - Booties, sweater, supplementing, etc."

He does have furry "Grinch" paws with long hair growing between his paw pads, so he has to wear booties otherwise balls of ice collect and stick in his paw pads frown lol. I also started trimming the hair on his paws so they wouldn't collect sticky snow/ice as easily. It helped a little.

Farles also has a winter jacket but it's more for show than function (it was an expensive gift from my old boss)!

I think the coldest I will take Farles out in an Edmonton winter is like, -20 degrees C. But our winters here have gotten as cold as -60C including wind chill, and nobody goes out on those days unless you want your nose to fall off! laugh out loud

Pictures of Farles in the snow!

So serious!

Pretty eyes

Derp

Unimpressed with booties.
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 4:22am PST 
I think the look on Jax's face in her picture says it all.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 7:08am PST 
Yes, they love snow! I see them graze like cattle in the back yard on the snow. Sanka will catch snowballs thrown at him every time. He'll get a look on his face like it was a bad idea because it's so cold, but he still tries to catch them lol. Forgot to add, I don't do anything special for them when out and about. Them moving around keeps them warm. On some occasions, their feet will hurt from the frozen snow. On those days, I usually just skip the walks.

Here's a quick video of them from the only snowfall we got last year.

I so hope it snows more this year.

As for your bunnies & home, try straw! Laying bundles around your house will help insulate it, and the bunnies can snuggle up in it. I'm always scared of the electric heaters with animals.

I also have oil heaters for some of my rooms (I get cold easily), and they work awesome for individual rooms.

Edited by author Wed Oct 3, '12 7:09am PST

[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 7:16am PST 
Well, we cut our romp short down on the mighty Miss when the temps were around -20F... else, _I_ dress warm and the Charks goes nude into whatever the weather throws at us confused

Charka definitely is happier as the temps begin to drop. Snow? A definite plus. Once we get enough snow that she has to porpoise (happens before people get out to clean up after a significant snow)... I'll cut the walk back a bit since we're both going to get tired quicker. Have had some great fun when out and about in the middle of a good storm. Otherwise? Snow is just plain fun. You can play in it; you can eat it; life is good; what's not to like? laugh out loud

Charka is double-coated and is a really happy girl as winter comes on.

_I_ hate wet and mud... so always look forward to the ground freezing.

Hmmm... need to think about bringing the sled down from garage attic wink
[notify]
Samoa- SunnyBear- Bell

Happy Boy!

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 7:55am PST 
I love snow...it makes me look even more handsome!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3