GO!

Intolerance versus Reactivity

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 1:28pm PST 
I have a truly reactive dog and one who simply doesn't like other dogs.
I have found with Shadow (reactive) if I give her something to do before she fixates, she will ignore stressors. For example when I see the dogs approaching our fence I tell her to tunnel, or get the frisbee, or weave. I can still see the agitation but she is focused on what she is doing.
Sabi does NOT like strange dogs and will happily stay in her own space but gets nasty if her space is invaded. I HATE people who cheerfully tell me 'he's friendly' while Sabi is trying to eat their dog. She's NOT!
I would be having a chat with your instuctor. It is unbelievably rude to be allowing a dog to wander about harassing other dogs. You paid the same money as everyone else and you are entitled to the same respect.
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 3:35pm PST 
Wow, I haven't heard of an agility class that just allows dogs to wander around (except mine where the dogs all know each other and are friends). This is a definite problem with the class. All dogs should either be working or RIGHT next to the handler and not interacting with other dogs (unless the two dogs are friends and then they should not be interfering with the rest of the class (can you tell I have taken training classes with Selli's friends)). Talk to the instructor or if she is not willing to enforce common courtesy, talk to the owner of the Lab and tell them they NEED to keep their dog away from yours. You may come across as a meany, but better that then your dog being unfairly labeled as reactive.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2